Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Didier 25 posts 90 karma points
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 04:05
    Didier

Installing Umbraco 4 on ASP.NET 2.0.50727 Server

Hello,

I created on an Umbraco website and everything works well locally. I am using Vista Ultimate with IIS 7.0 and ASP.NET 3.5 on my local machine.

Now I have to install the website on an old server running Windows Server 2003, IIS 6.0 and ASP.NET 2.0.50727. Everything looks good on the frontend but on the backend for some reason I am unable to login. It doesn't even throw an error if I enter a wrong username or password.

I am not sure what I am missing. I have the AJAX Extensions installed.

Anybody knows what I could be missing?

Thank you.

Didier

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 06:26
    Aaron Powell

I'd have a look into the web.config membership provider section, Umbraco 4.0.1 brought the passwordFormat="hashed" by default. This can be a problem if you set the passwordFormat="plainText" to start with.

You can check the database table umbracoUser which stores the information about the user.

Alternatively if there was an error being hidden by the UI (which I'm pretty sure it wont) it would still appear in Event Viewer.

• Gerben 41 posts 136 karma points
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 13:19
    Gerben

I also had this problem, I solved it by changing the passWord format to "Clear"

<add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.UsersMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" passwordFormat="Clear"/>
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 14:07
    Aaron Powell

clear! That's it, not clearText. That'll teach me to post without having a web.config open :P

• Didier 25 posts 90 karma points
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 17:48
    Didier

YES! Thank you very much.

This resolved my problem. Not sure why it wasn't giving me a password incorrect error.

Jun 30, 2009 @ 23:36
    Aaron Powell

Umbraco doesn't give an error if the password is wrong, it helps deter the potential for brute force attacks, if you don't even know the username was right it takes a lot longer. If you're brute forcing and get "password wrong" you know the username was at least right ;)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft