Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen 47 posts 69 karma points
    Nov 24, 2011 @ 17:33
    Stephen

How to run umbraco alongside existing site

I have successfully installed umbraco on our new live server.

Once I had established that it was working I transfered our existing site into the same root folder. The plan is to let the world see our existing site whilst we populate the Umbraco site. Then we'll delete the old site.

The Umbraco installation is the default website, which is not what we want to happen at the moment. I want tout old site to continue to appear in people's browsers. This was easily fixed by changing the name of the umbraco default page from default.aspx to default-holding.aspx.

My problem now is that I don't know how to gain access to the Umbraco site in order to populate it with content.

When I try to vist www.oursite.com/default-holding.aspx I just get an error page saying...

'The resource cannot be found.'

Please advise.

Steve

Nov 24, 2011 @ 17:40
    Stephen

That should have read...

I want the old site to continue to appear in people's browsers.

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Nov 25, 2011 @ 14:28
    Rasmus Berntsen

Hey!

I would create a new site in the IIS, and add a test-domain to the new Umbraco site. Get it all up and running, and then, when everything is done, move the bindings from the current site to the new umbraco site. Is this not an option?

/Berntsen

Nov 25, 2011 @ 15:45
    Stephen

Hello Bernsten,

Thans for the reply. I'm very much a non-coder but can usually get the idea with a little help.

I'm not too sure what you mean at the moment.

When you say create  a new site, do you mean in a new folder within the root of the website?

And what are the bindings exactly?

Steve

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Nov 25, 2011 @ 16:02
    Rasmus Berntsen

Hi Stephen!

Do you run it on your own server, with you own Internet Information Services (IIS)?

By bindings I mean hostheader. If you have two websites in your IIS, you could easily change the hostheader on the running websites. 

So you could have two websites:

NonUmbraco: www.thewebaddress.com

Umbraco: test.thewebaddress.com

And then change them, when you're ready to go live.

• Maxemilian Hilbrand 13 posts 37 karma points
    Nov 25, 2011 @ 16:08
    Maxemilian Hilbrand

Stephen,

you don't have to be a coder. Go to the iis manager, right-click the "Sites" Node (under your server's name) and select "Add Web Site".

Then you have to specify a site name which can be whatever you want to identify the website (it's a good practice to name it with the primary host/domain name for this website), specify a physical path (other than your default web site) and give it a host name (www.example.com).

Using host names was introduced several years ago, to use the same IP address for many web sites. When the server receives a request, it first evaluates the host name (www.yoursite.com). If one of the server's websites matches the host name, it directs the request to this web site. If you access your server with an IP address or if the given host name is not defined for any web site, the default web site is displayed.

Create the web site with a host name like beta.yoursite.com or test.yoursite.com and install Umbraco on this web site. Make sure that the new umbraco uses a different database, if the previous website was also based on Umbraco. To access the new web site, you have to ensure that a DNS record for test.yoursite.com (or whatever you have chosen as host name) exists. Alternatively, you can also use your local hosts file for name resolution. The web server uses the host name sent by the browser.

If you already have installed Umbraco on your default web site, you can also create a new web site for the original content. Give a host name www.yoursite.com instead, and copy the original files to the new location. You can alter the host names anytime, and you can also add additional host names for the new web site (for example yoursite.com without www.). To do you, just right click the web site, choose "Bindings..." and "Add..."

regards

Maxemilian

Nov 28, 2011 @ 14:49
    Stephen

Thanks Guys,

This has helped me a lot.

I'll give it a try.

Cheers

Steve

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: