Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jordy Vialoux 73 posts 103 karma points
    Nov 29, 2011 @ 22:23
    Jordy Vialoux

Upgrading Umbraco From Version 3 to Version 4.7.1

Hi Guys,

I have a server with a heap of umbraco sites on it and some are running the current version of 4.7.1 however, we need to update the earlier sites which are currently running umbraco 3 and earlier versions of 4.

How would one go about doing this?

Is there a quick way around doing this?

All suggestions welcome!

• Richard Eyres 98 posts 580 karma points
    Nov 30, 2011 @ 10:24
    Richard Eyres

Hello Jordy

We were in a similar position, plus the addition of some bespoke amendments. After a few tests, we decided to the upgrades in stages.

• From version 3 to 4.
    • From version 4 to 4.5 (we kept the old schema instead of upgrading the xslt. There were numerous reasons for this).
    • Finally went from 4.5 to 4.7

There were resources on the net with detailed steps to upgrade, and we followed them. We also hit a couple of snags, but these were easily sorted out. The old forum helped with the 3-4 upgrade stage, and we followed the instructions supplied by the Farm (http://farmcode.org/post/2009/02/05/Upgrading-to-Umbraco-4.aspx).

I wish you all the best for the upgrades. We had 14 to complete and it did take a while. The customer was very happy after the upgrade as well.

Regards

Richard

• Jordy Vialoux 73 posts 103 karma points
    Nov 30, 2011 @ 20:41
    Jordy Vialoux

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for the post and information.

Are you able to briefly list the issues you came into? Understandable not upgrading the xslt as it's a mission to convert - I may have to do the same thing.

I will check out your link and always got to remember that google is my friend!

:-)

• Markus Johansson 1915 posts 5782 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 02, 2012 @ 17:22
    Markus Johansson

Anyone has any idea how long this tok? Will this include members, content, media and so on?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft