Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Nov 30, 2011 @ 23:46
    skiltz

Corrupt Umbraco.config - Website Won't Start

Our website won't start at all.  We are getting an error in Windows Event log that goes something like... The process was terminated due to stack overflow. As soon as the first request comes in.

If I delete the umbraco.config file and use an old one everything works fine (obivosuly out of date).  If I republish all then the error comes back (new umbraco.config created).

Does anyone have an idea how to track down the rouge issue in umbraco.config and find out which page/media item is affecting the issue?

Our website is large > 20K pages and being down is causing some headaches.  HELP would be HUGELY appreciated.

• Peter Gregory 408 posts 1614 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Nov 30, 2011 @ 23:49
    Peter Gregory

Is the config complete?   or is it partially published?

• webmonger 130 posts 285 karma points
    Nov 30, 2011 @ 23:51
    webmonger

Have you changed any XSLT files recently? I've experienced an issue a little like this when targeting a node incorrectly.

Also what version of Umbraco are you using?

Nov 30, 2011 @ 23:54
    skiltz

It is complete. 

Umbraco 4.7.1 (heavily customized) No changed to XSLT but we have quite a few content editors.

• webmonger 130 posts 285 karma points
    Dec 01, 2011 @ 00:06
    webmonger

I've also experienced this with characters in the XML thats have not been encoded properly. My first point of call would be checking for badly encoded characters.

try: ’ “ ”

I've added them to the umbracoSettings.config to remove them but I've also found long dashes (the ones from word) cause this in the past too.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Dec 01, 2011 @ 00:11
    Lee Kelleher

Any clues in the "umbracoLog" database table?

Any 3rd-party packages (data-types) used? That might be corrupting the XML output.

• Peter Gregory 408 posts 1614 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Dec 01, 2011 @ 00:12
    Peter Gregory

Yep and base64 chars. Base64 chars would make the umbraco.config file corrupt as they are invalid in XML

Dec 01, 2011 @ 01:04
    skiltz

Thanks for the tips....  I've unpublised all paged created and updated today and we are up and running again.  Just need to track down the rouge page now.  Thanks for the quick responses. HUGELY appreciated.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft