Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike Peters 2 posts 20 karma points
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 23:07
    Mike Peters

Using Umbraco with a 3rd party website

We have a third-party provider that is developing our ecommerce website. We would like to integrate a content management solution with their project. However, their project has their own master files, templates, css, etc. From my understanding, to use Umbraco, we would need to convert all their master pages into Umbraco templates. Under this scenario, we would need to re-convert all the templates anytime they gave us updates of their code. I'm curious if there is a way to leave their project as-is (using their master pages) and just place "tags" or "placeholders" where we want the content to display. Is this possible?

Thanks!

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jul 02, 2009 @ 00:30
    Aaron Powell

If the ecommerce site is completely self contained (ie, all the files are within a single folder hierachy) you can quite easily specify that folder in Umbraco to be ignored so none of the handlers worry about it and it'll operate as-is.

If you want to integrated CMS functionality with the ecommerce site then you'll need to import the templates into Umbraco and add the tags.

It'd be easier if you're using Umbraco 4 as that uses ASP.NET master pages rather than the custom templating solution of the v2/ v3 days, making the integration a lot easier

• sam jones 9 posts 21 karma points
    Jul 02, 2009 @ 02:34
    sam jones

This sounds like the same kind of task that I posted here: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/2667-How-to-access-Umbraco-content-from-existing-NET-application

Is there a doc or video to help me get my head screwed on?

We are trying to get started with umbraco, and don't know where to start. (I can get it installed fine, but I have zero idea how to get the content framed in our asp.net app)  Thanks!

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 02, 2009 @ 09:15
    Dirk De Grave

Sam,

Consider umbraco.tv. Start using it for a month (it's really cheap) and you'll get lots of info on how to handle all these tasks. Cancelling of the subscrption can be done at any time (but I'm quite sure you won't after having seen the videos stuffed with great info)

Hopefully, lots of people will also contribute to the wiki for these kind of tasks.

Cheers,

Dirk

• SiKo279 82 posts 238 karma points
    Jul 02, 2009 @ 15:02
    SiKo279

I can really recommend umbraco.tv as well. It's giving you a lot of quality info that gets you going pretty quickly.

• Mike Peters 2 posts 20 karma points
    Jul 02, 2009 @ 18:53
    Mike Peters

If the 3rd party provider has references in their master pages to all kinds of custom controls and user controls, how exactly does that translate to Umbraco? Would all those references stay the same?

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft