Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• SiKo279 82 posts 238 karma points
    Jul 02, 2009 @ 15:57
    SiKo279

How to install Umbraco v.4 on a shared hosting environment?

Hi,

Currently we have 2 websites live on a shared hosting enviroment (reliablesite.net).

How do I proceed to install Umbraco on this environment?

Can I just copy the files to a newly created web, configure it and go?

I can just go ahead and try of course, but some feedback on first hand experience would be great!

Thanks,

Si.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 02, 2009 @ 16:30
    Dirk De Grave

Hi siko,

Basically, when moving from dev (-> staging) -> live environment, you need:

- Backup database and restore on the live server

- Copy over all files from root on.

- Check permissions again on the shared hosting environment, because if no proper permissions are set, you'll be stuck (Don't ignore the advice, especially when moving files using ftp!). You may need to contact the guys at the hosting company to set the required permissions.

- Fire up the site on the live server (go to admin site)

- Right-click on any top level node (ones below the 'Content' node) and publish those (optionally check to include children in the publish process)

- Right-click on the 'Content' node and click 'Publish entire' site

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

Jul 02, 2009 @ 16:41
    SiKo279

Thanks Dirk,

The thing is, locally I develop with the Vista DB as the umbraco db.

Live we'll use the sql server (2005) database. Is there a way to export from vista db to sql server? Or do I need to make/export an Umbraco package and install that on the live site?

I hear you about permissions, it might indeed involve the host providers help.

So, currently (as I'm very impaticient) I just copy an empty install to the host. See if it fires up.

Any ideas to transfer the Umbraco site between installations?

Thanks

Jul 02, 2009 @ 16:49
    SiKo279

Update:

- Umbraco fires up :)

- But ... there is a permissions problem

Will start a support ticket with the host and see how it resolves...

weekend here now, so on sunday we'll continue.

Thanks so far.

Si.

Jul 02, 2009 @ 16:54
    Dirk De Grave

Hmm, haven't done any db conversions from vista db and sql server, as i tend to use sql server whenever i can.

Run any conversion (from vistadb to sql server) on your local dev first to make sure everything still runs smoothly after conversion. it should...

If it's a first install (move) to the shared environment, just use the steps I've outlined.

For future upgrades, the package route is a good alternative

Good luck,

/Dirk

Jul 02, 2009 @ 16:58
    SiKo279

Being impaticient does not help saving bandwith ... ahum,

I was able to set permissions myself, and it seems we're up and running with an empty site.

What's left is to copy the site from our local development machine to the live site, but I'll wait for the answer on my question regarding this. (package, or vista db --> sql server transfer

Si.

Jul 02, 2009 @ 17:02
    SiKo279

<remark> Edit post feature would be neat</remark>

Ok Dirk,

How can I see/access the content in VistaDB?

If it's not so obvious to do a data transfer, I'll go for the package route from the start.

Thanks.

Si.

Jul 02, 2009 @ 17:04
    Dirk De Grave

@SiKo279

I'm sure there's some kind of admin tool for vistadb as well. Check their site for more info.

Cheers,

Dirk

• Timsn 121 posts 231 karma points
    Jul 02, 2009 @ 17:12
    Timsn

What I did with my db when I moved my site was creating a script file containing all the tables and the data, so I did't have to wrestle with backup files and export things...simply executing the script file on host side an everything was fine.

I used Microsoft SQL Management Studio Express 2008 for this task, but I'm not sure if you can connect with it to vistadb.

Jul 02, 2009 @ 17:31
    SiKo279

Ok,

VistaDB has a tool to create scripts, so I guess with this I can get the data to SQL (tables are created by Umbraco install, so only the 'insert into' part of the scripts will come in handy.

Thanks all for the help ...

Have a good weekend

Si.

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 02, 2009 @ 17:51
    Morten Bock

Just want to add that you cannot be 100% sure that the scripts will work. I know that there are some differences in SQL datatypes between the diferent database types, so that could cause some trouble. But try it out, and let us know how it goes.

• Bijesh Tank 192 posts 420 karma points
    Jul 09, 2009 @ 12:24
    Bijesh Tank

I've used the SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard when deploying a new site from dev (UAT) --> live environment and has been reliable for me so far.

Simply create a new database on the host server and run the SQL script.

Then copy over the website files, set the appropriate permissions on the folders and edit the web.config connection string and you should be up and running.

Although the above works in most cases, you may need a bit tweaking in other places to customise for your build.

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jul 09, 2009 @ 20:00
    Paul Sterling

Just an opinion based on similar experience:

1 - we deploy client sites to RelaibleSite with SQL Express frequently, without difficulty

2 - moving from VistaDB to SQL Express is tricky at best - you'd be *much* better off developing in a local instance of SQL and then cioying the DB files (or use the DB Publishing Wizard - our preference) to create the Prod DB at ReliableSite

There are some tools from VistaDB for working with the schema and table, but I have yet to find a tool that allows you to migrate FROM VistaDb to SQL - going the opposite way, of course, is quite easy. 

-Paul

Jul 15, 2009 @ 14:34
    SiKo279

I switched to a local sql server  and basically started from scratch as I had a few other issues (setting channels for blogging/publishing doesnt work well if you've defined a master document type, so moving away from that for now).

All that replied, thanks a lot... this to me is now solved and topic closed! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft