Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• All Blonde 86 posts 138 karma points
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 16:54
    All Blonde

What is the reason for any/all xslt failing

Hi guys,

after numerouse installing and removing umbarco I finnally make it run. Made som modification to content of the pages and published all files.

Problem is that does not matter which test site I install got same error:

Error reading XSLT file: \xslt\umbTopNavigation.xslt

Depending on site it is different file name but always failure to read xslt file for navigation. This one for Simple site.

Permission is set to full access on entire directory where umbarco installed. Verified that each file actually exists.

And no skin get installed at all. As soon as I choose skin and click install it just hangin and I do not see any activity on hardrive or via Fiddler.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 17:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi All

When you install a clean Umbraco installation do you then add the simple site afterwards? Did you try installing the CWS package instead?

/Jan

Dec 14, 2011 @ 18:41
    All Blonde

Hi Jan,

here is what I discover at this point.

If I do installation by any other means but webmatrix-- got same xslt failure and in all cases skins or packages installation fails as well. For some reason it show that package/skin instaled and then --error xslt or something else is not found. I did straight manual install, install via Web Platform Installer 3.0.

But as soon as I did web matrix install -- all this went away and umbarco is up and running. I did not try to install any other package so far but blogs is looking good. Some small adjustments in CSS but it is not a big deal. Just to fix how pages appearing on different browsers.

I think that installation issue should be addressed as a bug. As for me I would rather have it installed where I need it to be and not where webmatrix place this app.

I will play with umbarco for now to see if I should present this to my boss and teammates for consideration as CMS for future use.

Thanks

All

Dec 14, 2011 @ 19:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi All

Well it would be categorised as a bug if many people had the same issues. I'm not sure why you got the before mentioned errors but seems that there might have been a reference to something missing on your machine, which made it act all up. I'm sorry I can't be any more specific about it but I would need to know your system better.

That's why WebMatrix is ideal for doing the install - after Umbraco has been installed you should be able to simply copy the site to another destination and then setup a site in your IIS and point it to the folder so it's not neccesary to keep running the site using WebMatrix at all :)

/Jan

Dec 14, 2011 @ 19:21
    All Blonde

I have none customized installation of Windows 2003 Standard R2 server on my machine with SP2, Intel dualcore, 4GB RAM. With all 4 major browsers installed.

VS 2010 and NET 1.1, 2.0, 3.5, 4 frameworks installed consequently.

As developer I am working with variety on NET frameworks from 2.0 to 4.0 as you can see, what ever client hosting needs.

So far none of applications show any symptoms of missing references or system corruption. Pretty sure that problem is not between chair and desktop either. :-)

It is not the first (nor last) CMS I am working with.

Dec 14, 2011 @ 19:25
    All Blonde

O, by the way Jan,

I just got thanks email from Umbarco after installing it via webmatrix. Did not had one before. :-)

And I am using same SQL database for all my installation. Ofcourse before each new install I deleted all what was in database, just in case.

Dec 14, 2011 @ 20:23
    All Blonde

One additional difference.

After webmatrix installation my local install dashboard missing left side navigation completly. I do not want to mess with it so I will kill all files from local install for now.

Thanks

Dec 14, 2011 @ 20:42
    Jan Skovgaard

I have no doubts that you have been playing around with other CMS'es before :)

Could you post a screendump of what the backoffice looks like where the navigation is missing?

/Jan

Dec 15, 2011 @ 16:49
    All Blonde

Hi Jan,

I moving faster than getting reply here, so since WebMatrix installation working fine -- I would love to give a screen grab but all local files is gone-got replaced by WebMatrix site.

Thanks for all your advices. That help to move me into right direction

All

Dec 15, 2011 @ 16:52
    All Blonde

And I did confirm one things -- it would be nice to have OS compatability, like prerequesties list, for each version.

U5 already have it. At least I will not try to run it on windows 2003 with 2005 SQL server as a database to avoid headaches :-)

You were wright, it is not a bug -- simple case of incompatability with OS for manual installation.That got fixed by WebMatrix somehow.

• mira 4 posts 34 karma points
    Nov 19, 2013 @ 07:45
    mira

Hi KARMA,

I am having the same issue - xslt not working in all my pages. I installed umbraco 6.1.6 using manual documentation because my project is for local one now. After installing business starter kit and a new theme or template using manual download, it always shows errors like the following.

Error reading XSLT file: \xslt\umbBlogRssFeedLink.xslt

Error reading XSLT file: \xslt\umbBlogRssFeedLink.xslt

Error reading XSLT file: \xslt\umb2ndLevelNavigation.xslt

I am not sure I can install umbraco and work on localhost by using Webmatrix. I will try it. This is really a nightmare for beginners like me. It took so much time for installation and configuration of umbraco.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft