Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobby Wallace 37 posts 58 karma points
    Dec 18, 2011 @ 21:39
    Bobby Wallace

Umbraco 5 Alpha 1 - Missing /install

My apologies if this is a duplicate post, but I've have been searching through the forum to no avail...

I "simply" downloaded the Zip file, and unziped it, but there is no install directory. Therefore http://localhost/install (actually http://Umbraco/install) does not work.

I'm sure I am missing something simple, but can someone please help?

Thanks in advance,
    -Bobby

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 18, 2011 @ 22:03
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bobby

you should simply just go to http://localhost/ and if you have all dependencies etc. you should be met by the installation screen.

I supose it's beta 1 you have downloaded and not Alpha 1, right? :)

/Jan

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 18, 2011 @ 22:32
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I do hope, like Jan said, that it's Beta 1 you've downloaded. :-)

The install instructions on Codeplex are actually wrong, what I would recommend you to do is to download WebMatrix and do the following:

- Download Beta 1
    - Right click the zip file and make sure to Unblock it if needed
    - Unzip the file somewhere (for example: D:\Dev\Umbraco5Beta1\)
    - Right-click the Umbraco5Beta1 folder where the files have been unzipped and choose Run as Website in Webmatrix

This will spin up a copy of IIS Express and when you hit Run you should immediately get the install wizard (I recommend choosing SQL CE there, it's the easiest way).

Dec 18, 2011 @ 22:53
    Bobby Wallace

I will be happy to follow Sebastiaan's instructions, but I am curious as to why you would suggest to use IIS Express when IIS is on the machine.

Also, I am looking to move this project up to the web immediately so others can play along with me, so I need a good way to deploy.

And SQL CE is not available on the web, so I hope SQL 2008 is not a problem.

Thanks for your help,
    -Bobby 

Dec 18, 2011 @ 22:57
    Sebastiaan Janssen

No problem, you can use IIS as well, easiest would be to set up a virtual directory or if you want to, set up a new site with a proper host name. In any case, as Jan said, go to the root of your new site instead of /install and you'll get the install wizard.

SQL 2008 is not a problem at all, create a new database ahead of time and make sure you have a username and password for it. 

As far as I know, SQL CE should be available to anyone though, as I believe it's just a dll, it shouldn't need to be installed (I may be mistaken there!).

Dec 18, 2011 @ 23:03
    Bobby Wallace

Ok, I hope you don't mind, but I will continue to post the problems as I see them and continue to search for answers:

This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the section is locked at a parent level. Locking is either by default (overrideModeDefault="Deny"), or set explicitly by a location tag with overrideMode="Deny" or the legacy allowOverride="false".  

Config Source:

150: </modules>  151: <handlers> 152: <remove name="DependencyHandler"/> 

Dec 18, 2011 @ 23:09
    Sebastiaan Janssen

No problem, I think this is something in the configuration of your hosting provider, not sure you can change this by yourself, have a read here: 

http://forums.asp.net/t/1220987.aspx

Looks like this would be the solution: 

To correct error I changed the following values located in the applicationHost.config file located in Windows\system32\inetsrv.

Change all of the following values located in section <configSections> --> <sectionGroup name="system.webServer">

• <section name="handlers" overrideModeDefault="Deny" /> change this value from "Deny" to "Allow"
    • <section name="modules" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" overrideModeDefault="Deny" /> change this value from "Deny" to "Allow"

Dec 18, 2011 @ 23:12
    Bobby Wallace

At the risk of appearing to have two things going on here at once, any thoughts about moving this to the web? 

I'll modify as suggested and continue...

Dec 18, 2011 @ 23:14
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Not sure what you mean, but this is "just" and asp.net MVC3 site, so if your webhosting provider supports that, it should run just fine over there...

Dec 18, 2011 @ 23:24
    Bobby Wallace

Hmmmm MVC3? .NET 4 is there, but I don't know about MVC3. If I try and run it up there (http://connectinfo.net.wsp110110.clientnshosting.net/), I get:

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied. 

and I have checked the permissions, so something tells me that MVC3 is not available and all of this little excercise was for not.

Any thoughts?
    -Bobby

Dec 18, 2011 @ 23:27
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Thoughts: find a hosting provider that does have MVC3 available? ;-)

Sorry, nothing there, I am used to running my own servers. I would give your hosting provider a call and ask them what's going on.

Dec 18, 2011 @ 23:53
    Bobby Wallace

unfortunately, changing my hosting provider is not an option. sounds like we need to stick to the latest stable version. thank you again for all of your help. i look forward to building my first site with umbraco

Dec 19, 2011 @ 00:28
    Bobby Wallace

Sebastiaan - it seems that you are a wealth of information regarding Umbraco, so I hope you don't mind if I continue here...

Finding another hosting provider is not really an option. I am a hosting reseller, and... well... my provider has my business for the time being. I will send them a message and hopefully they will load MVC3 for me.

Based upon you input, I believe it is best to stick with 4.7.1 because I have had some luck installing that version. Now, why it runs so well under IIS Express and not IIS is a little confusing, but I need to build a quick web site to prove feasibility. 

Dec 19, 2011 @ 00:39
    Bobby Wallace

Ok... it works under WebMatrix, not under IIS, nor on my hosting provider. In the interest of time, the online installation is what matters most. From http://connectinfo.net.wsp110110.clientnshosting.net/, I get:

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

I will continue my search on here, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 20, 2011 @ 08:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Is this for 4.7.1 or for 5.0?

This is just a "friendly" error and that tells me nothing at all, so if you can find a way to get the "real" exception that would be helpful. Try setting customErrors to Off for now on that server.

Dec 20, 2011 @ 14:55
    Bobby Wallace

Sebastiaan,

As I mention in a prior post, I went to 4.7.1 because I cannot control the web deployment environment and I question whether MVC is installed.

But thank you again for all of your help,
    -Bobby 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft