Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bobby Wallace 37 posts 58 karma points
    Dec 19, 2011 @ 06:41
    Bobby Wallace

Need help with 4.7.1 Install

Please help...

I have a fresh copy of 4.7.1 loaded on a local machine, ready to run the install. Using WebMatrix (via IIS Express), the install pops up nicely. I am curious as to why it will not work under IIS, but the real problem is, I need the install to work on a web server. 

I have tried taking a snapshot (zipping up the directory structure) and moving it to the web server, but I get:

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

I have tried a manual install on the web server, the same manual install I followed on the local machine, yet I get the same error.

I have tried using WebMatrix to publish the site..., but no such luck - same error.

I have two other fresh installs of 4.7.1 under the same hosting service - different web space, so I don't think the problem is with my host. I have also tried zipping up and copying those over without success - same error.

What I need is a definable-repeatable process to bring up new web sites ready for install - a jump start - that works. I am excited about Umbraco, and I am sure this is pilot error, but I seem to be stuck. I am anxious to get going, so thanks in advance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    -Bobby

BTW - 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 19, 2011 @ 08:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bobby

What settings do you have in IIS? Have you pointed the site to the Umbraco root folder containing your installation?

Is the app pool for the site started? Is it running .NET4/Integrated mode? And have you set the proper permissions for the IIS_IUSRS group on the Umbraco folder?

/Jan

Dec 19, 2011 @ 18:08
    Bobby Wallace

Jan, thank you for the response...

On the local machine, I have the root folder defined as a virtual directory. The App Pool is started, and defined as v4.0/Integrated. IIS_IUSRS have full control (which I believe is overkill). But I would really like to focus on the web server since that is where the real work will be performed. Unfortunately, I do not have as much access there, but the two other fresh installs are under the same service, so I feel like things there are copasetic.

Dec 19, 2011 @ 19:24
    Bobby Wallace

While trying to open the web site on the local machine via Visual Studio, I received the following error: Resolving ASP.NET 4.0 has not been Registered on the Web Server Error. I found something online pertaining to the issue (http://www.devcurry.com/2010/11/resolving-aspnet-40-has-not-been.html).

Now I have the following error: 

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Section or group name 'clientDependency' is already defined. Updates to this may only occur at the configuration level where it is defined.

The journey continues...

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Dec 19, 2011 @ 19:29
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

Could it be that your hosting space on the web server isn't configured for .NET 4.0?  Perhaps you need to enable it?

Also the latest message you posted leads me to believe you have an umbraco web.config in the root AND in your virtual directory.  It's stating that the <clientDependency> section (from umbraco's web.config) is defined twice, which would happen if you are referencing it in your website root's web.config and the web.config in your virtual directory (they get merged at runtime).

Sounds like you have a strange setup going on, why exactly are you using a virtual directory?  What's in the root of the website, another web app?

Also you need to ensure that your virtual directory is setup as an application with a .NET 4.0 app pool and not just a folder

Hope this helps,
    Tom

Dec 19, 2011 @ 19:54
    Bobby Wallace

Thanks Tom,

I created a virtual directory because it was the first thing that I thought of. So, as oppose to trying to debug problems with a virtual directory, I went ahead and just created a web site. That seems to have corrected the <clientDependency>, but now what comes up under IIS looks different than IIS Express. Specifically, if I "Open the direcory as a web site...," it comes up all pretty, with colors and stuff. If I open the newly created web site via IIS, it's bland, with no color or graphics.

I call this progress, but I am still confused.

Also, I am currently rebuilding my internet web space in order to start with a clean slate. Ultimately, I would like to be able to deploy this before running the install.

Dec 19, 2011 @ 19:59
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

That's definately progress :)

It should also work in a virtual directory but it sounds like something may have been setup incorrectly.  Anyway, as you say, let's first get it working in the root before making things more complicated :)

When you say it looks bland, no graphics, etc, are you talking about the Umbraco back-end or your actual website?

If the backend - it sounds like your CSS and Javascript is not loading.  This is a common problem when moving to a production server and is almost always related to permissions.  On your production server are you sure that your app pool user has full write permissions to the entire site?

If the frontend (actual website) - perhaps you have hardcoded paths in your templates/CSS/etc to your old virtual directory?  And now since it's in the root everything should be referenced with a '/'...ie href="yourvirtualdirectory/yourcss.css" should now be "/yourcss.css"

-Tom

Dec 19, 2011 @ 20:31
    Bobby Wallace

I am referring to the front-end - http://localhost:9497/install (IIS Express, 9498 is IIS).

Keep in mind, these files are nothing more than a fresh download/unzip. I have not modified anything. Not to mention, IIS Express seems to like the site, while IIS behaves poorly

Thanks,
    -Bobby.

Dec 19, 2011 @ 20:34
    Tom Fulton

Actually are you referring to the installer?  In this case it would be the same issue I mentioned with "if the backend" - most likely the CSS, Images, and Scripts aren't loading for the installer.  This is almost always a permissions issue as mentioned.  Can you double check that on your production server that your app pool user has full write permissions to the site?

-Tom

Dec 19, 2011 @ 20:40
    Bobby Wallace

IIS_IUSRS has full control. Is there another user associated with the app pool?

-Bobby

Dec 19, 2011 @ 20:45
    Tom Fulton

It can depend - your app pool can be running as any user account.  Sometimes with some hosting accounts they'll create a user specifically for the application pool of your site, and that's who needs the permissions.

To check (assuming you have access to the prod server?), you can view your website in IIS and click Basic Settings to find out which app pool is being used.  Then under Application Pools you can find that app pool and use the advanced settings to determine which user account it's running as.

-Tom

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Dec 19, 2011 @ 20:53
    Daniel Bardi

If the site is setup as a virtual directory under the primary site, I'd bet it has to do with css and image paths.. by default the reference /css and /images.. under a virtual directly it would be /virtualdir/css and /virtualdir/images.

Inspect the source (firbug) to look for anything missing paths.

Dec 20, 2011 @ 00:11
    Bobby Wallace

Daniel - I divorced the virtual directory and created a web site to avoid debugging too many issues at once.

Tom - I'm stepping off into unknown territory here, so please be patient with me. The from the advance settings indicate that the "identity" of the app pool is "ApplicationPoolIdentity," but I have not been able to identify what account that utilizes. I started to change it, but then I felt like I would be changing too many variables in the equation - not to mention that I will not have this kind of luxury when I move to the web server.

Thanks again,
    - Bobby

Dec 20, 2011 @ 00:17
    Daniel Bardi

Change the app_pool account to NetworkService.

Dec 20, 2011 @ 00:42
    Bobby Wallace

I changed the Identity to NetworkService, and I updated the permissions to give full control to NETWORK SERVICE. The same problem exists. I will put these values back.

I still find it confusing that all looks fine under IIS Express, but not under IIS.

Dec 20, 2011 @ 01:13
    Daniel Bardi

Are you changing the permissions for the folder including all recursive files? 

Post a screen grab of what you are seeing.

Dec 20, 2011 @ 01:34
    Tom Fulton

Hi Bobby,

"not to mention that I will not have this kind of luxury when I move to the web server."

I might be confused, but are you trying to make these changes on your local install and not the web server?  I was under the impression it was working fine locally but not on the web server, is that correct?  If so you should be checking the permissions & app pool on the web server, not locally...is that the case?

Also as Daniel mentioned try posting a screenshot, but it sounds like the typical "bad permsisions causing resources not to load" issue.

-Tom

Dec 20, 2011 @ 02:01
    Bobby Wallace

Daniel - recursive = yes

Tom - At the moment, I am working locally. The install comes up nicely under IIS Express, but not IIS - both locally. At some point, I need to move to the web server, but that is generating a generic 500 error (see earlier post), so I am focused locally for the time being.

I would definitely agree that it is a permissions issue because a graphic is not loading (actually more than one), and when I review the properties it is pointing a file that exists and the path is correct. Again, it comes up nicely under IIS Express, but not IIS. Here's what IIS looks like:

Dec 20, 2011 @ 02:19
    Daniel Bardi

Might be a client dependancy issue.  Try changing the version in the clientdependacy.config

Dec 20, 2011 @ 02:28
    Bobby Wallace

Ok, I'm completely out of my knowledge here. I found clientdependacy.config in the config directory. I've found <clientDependency version="1">. If this is the correct place, then what should I change it to?

Also, any insight as to why this would be a problem under IIS and not IIS Express?

Thanks,
    -Bobby 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 20, 2011 @ 08:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bobby

Perhpas you just need to delete the the ClientDepenecy cache from the "TEMP" folder found in this path App_Data/TEMP/ClientDependency.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Dec 20, 2011 @ 14:24
    Tom Fulton

FYI, the steps to clear the ClientDependency cache are:

- Open /config/clientDependency.config and increase the version attribute by 1
    - Delete the files in /App_Data/TEMP/ClientDependency
    - Touch your web.config file (add a blank line, delete it and re-save)

Not sure if it will help since it's a fresh install though.

Also here's another question, did you use the Windows Zip utility to unzip the files?  If so you need to right-click the zip file, goto Properties, and click Unblock or else some of the DLL's won't work properly.  If you uses a 3rd party Zip program it should be fine.

-Tom

Dec 20, 2011 @ 15:14
    Bobby Wallace

Clearing the ClientDependency cache made no difference.

I feel for certain that I did the "Unblock" before the unzip. I am still curious as to why it works under IIS Express, but not IIS? But we can stop chasing this rabbit because I have it working on the web server, which was the ultimate goal.

I do appreciate everyone's help here and I'm sure I'll be back for more help as I get started.

Thanks,
    -Bobby 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft