Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• hisoka 2 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 27, 2011 @ 05:44
    hisoka

Books Starter Kit - Value cannot be null or empty (viewName)

I recently installed Umbraco 5 RC1 along with the default Books starter kit.  The installation went fine and I was able to preview the site as well.  However, when I went to the administration page ("dashboard"?) to edit the description of the content, I got the following server error:

Value cannot be null or empty.
    Parameter name: viewName

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Value cannot be null or empty.
    Parameter name: viewName]
       System.Web.Mvc.ViewEngineCollection.FindView(ControllerContext controllerContext, String viewName, String masterName) +625655
       Umbraco.Cms.Web.Mvc.Controllers.UmbracoController.Index(IUmbracoRenderModel model) +1079
       lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] ) +117
       System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters) +264
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +39
       System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass15.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__12() +129
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +826410
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +314
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext controllerContext, String actionName) +825632
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore() +159
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +335
       System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClassb.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5() +62
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass1.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__0() +20
       System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClasse.<EndProcessRequest>b__d() +54
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +469
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +375

This occurred after the content was saved/published and then previewed.  The error also occurs if I hit the URL directly.

This is on my local dev machine and it's running ASP.NET 4.0, Windows 7, and IIS 7.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

David

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 27, 2011 @ 08:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David

I'm not sure what is going on but it's most likely a bug.

Bug found in RC1 should be reported to the core team here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issues

/Jan

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Dec 27, 2011 @ 14:05
    Tom Fulton

I think it has to do with the node in question not having a template assigned.  I think they haven't implemented the 404 for "no template" nodes or decided what they will be doing for that case :)

-Tom

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Dec 27, 2011 @ 14:26
    Jeroen Breuer

I already reported this issue: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U5-58. Please vote for it.

Jeroen

• hisoka 2 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 27, 2011 @ 17:54
    hisoka

Thanks for the quick followup!  In this situation, do you think the cause is due to the starter kit or the CMS?  Updating a page just seems like a common action that would be thoroughly tested and is fairly robust.  So I'm leaning towards an error with the starter kit.  Is there a simple way to rollback the starter kit?  If I have time I'll probably install 4.7.1 and give it a go.

David

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Dec 27, 2011 @ 19:00
    Jeroen Breuer

This is not related to the starter kit, but the CMS. The nodes don't have a template and that's what's causing the error. As Tom said it's probably something which hasn't been implemented yet. It's still a RC of course.

Jeroen

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 27, 2011 @ 20:18
    Jan Skovgaard

David

Since it's still an RC as pinted out above I think you should install v4.7 for now if you're looking for a stable version. But be aware that 4.7 is based on asp.net web forms and not MVC like v5.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft