Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andy Pierce 2 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 27, 2011 @ 20:09
    Andy Pierce

I am new to Umbraco

I am running an install of Umbraco 4.7.1 on MSSQL server 2008R2, with IIS 7.0 and Windows Server 2008 r2, ASP.NET 4.0

I am trying to install Umbraco and learn it as we are looking for a flexable CMS (using DNN now). I am using the Business Starter Kit and on the default page the Home tab always changes color to match the secondary background color. I am reading through CSS and templates but can't find where the color is assigned to this Home tab. I have found the the image, and the text(and where to change them) but any help on the color would be great.

I am trying to learn Umbraco so I can move away from DotNetNuke. I am not a developer and do not have any asp.net experience. I do have a programming degree from many years ago but I hope I can pick up Umbraco.

Thanks, 

Andy

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 27, 2011 @ 20:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum :)

If youre using firefox or chrome you should be able to find the color by right clicking on the tab on choose "inspect element" in the console window that appears you should see some CSS declarations to your right and also be able to see the name of the CSS file.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Andy Pierce 2 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 27, 2011 @ 22:39
    Andy Pierce

Hi Jan,

I had done this but the issue was when I changed the color in the css it would work then I use the content editor it changes sgain. I just deleted the starter kit and will start over...

Thanks,

Dec 27, 2011 @ 22:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andy

Ok, I'm not sure if there perhaps are defined some styles for use in the rich text editor in the "styles" dropdown perhaps.

But I will recommend that you make a clean install and then have a look at the Creative Website Starter package instead (CWS).

You can install it by going to the developer section -> packages -> repository -> search for CWS and install.

Hope this helps.

Don't hesitate to ask about stuff since we're a very friendly and clever bunch of people in here willing to help each other out.

/Jan

• A-K Engdahl 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 09:22
    A-K Engdahl

Hello!
    I have a client using Umbraco. Now, client want to have a new design and my question is whether it is best to install umbraco locally first and then move it to a web hosting or should I do the installation on the web hotel from scratch?

Should I do a fresh install or use the existing?

Skriv text, ange adressen till en webbplats eller översätt ett dokument.

Översättning från svenska till engelska

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 09:33
    Anthony Candaele

I would advise you to have a test domain (e.g www.test.mywebsite.com) 

This way your client can evaluate progress and give feedback while you (re)build his website.

Another tip: Courier is a very handy/indispensable tool to transfer your work from the test site to the production site.

greetings,

Anthony

Jan 13, 2012 @ 10:18
    A-K Engdahl

Hi again Anthony,

Thanks for helping me out.

I have a copy of my database and I can look at my site, so now I can change the design, but I can not log in umbraco. Maybe there is som connection I have to change? 

Page not found

No umbraco document matches the url 'http:// wwwtest.mywebsite.com/umbraco'

umbraco tried this to match it using this xpath query'/root/* [@urlName = "umbraco"]')

This page can be replaced with a custom 404 page by adding the id of the umbraco document to show as 404 page in the /config/umbracoSettings.config file. Just add the id to the '/settings/content/errors/error404' element.

For more information, visit information about custom 404 on the umbraco website.

greetings from A-K

Jan 13, 2012 @ 10:20
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi A-K

What happens if you go to http://www.test.mywebsite.com/umbraco/ - seems like you're missing a dot in the above url.

/Jan

Jan 13, 2012 @ 10:32
    A-K Engdahl

Hi Jan,

Nope http://wwwtest.mywebsite.com is working fine. I have created this adress and it works. Do I have to change the adress to work with umbraco?

/ A-K

Jan 13, 2012 @ 12:58
    A-K Engdahl

Problem is resolved. You have to write http://wwwtest.mywebsite.com/umbraco/  I missed the last / ( slash).

Thanks Jan.

/ A-K

Jan 13, 2012 @ 17:09
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi A-K

You're very welcome - happy to see you're able to move on.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft