Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kenny Burns 173 posts 305 karma points
    Jan 05, 2012 @ 15:02
    Kenny Burns

Clean Umbraco Website Copy

Hi All,

We are looking to create a core website that will be the starting platform for all our future websites, where we can simply take a copy of the files and database and set them up (SQL, IIS etc) and hey presto. I have already done this where i finished one site, copied it, stripped out all the images, javascripts and style sheets etc and deployed it as the start for another site.

So far, so good and it worked well and was straightforward. I read elsewhere that doing it this way is best to get a straight copy rather than trying to package up the site.

My only concern is that there are tables in the database or log files somewhere that could also do with a clearout. Is that the case and if so does anyone know which tables i should be "truncating"? (I suppose content history as well should be cleared out)

Cheers -

Kenny

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 05, 2012 @ 19:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kenny

You should consider making a basic install setup with the core document types, templates, xslt/raxor renderings, script, css files etc that you're usually using when starting a new project.

Then you should create a repository on bitbucket.org and then commit the base installation to a repository from here. Every time you start a new project you simply just clone the base you have already setup and installed.

I prefer using a SQL CE database, which I migrate to MSSQL when I'm starting a new project.

By using a repository you can always revert to a working version if you extend your base with something that is messing it all up. It just makes your life a lot easier.

Hope this inspires you a bit.

/Jan

Jan 06, 2012 @ 10:00
    Kenny Burns

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the info - i think commiting the base to a repository and keeping track of "versions" will be the best way forward.

When you say "a basic intall setup" do you mean to create this as a package or just as a set of files with the database? I tried previously to package up a base site but ran into a few different issues. I may look into doing this again.

Thanks again for the help and advice -

Kenny

Jan 06, 2012 @ 10:26
    Kenny Burns

Hi All -

I found some more information on this issue here: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/11639-Creating-a-base-install-of-Umbraco

Kenny

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 06, 2012 @ 16:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Kenny

I mean a basic setup, which you put in a repository from where you clone each new project. No package needed :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft