Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dieter Walckiers 9 posts 29 karma points
    Jan 05, 2012 @ 20:56
    Dieter Walckiers

Publish Umbraco next to existing asp.net website

Hello friendly community!

I have a question regarding publishing an Umbraco site in IIS, next to an existing asp.net website.

In IIS, using a host header, I assigned a domain to a folder on my machine, in which I copied my Umbraco website.

The existing website resides in a different folder, and has a different domain configured to it (through the host header).

Now, when I restart IIS, both websites work nicely. But the weird thing is, it will carry on functioning for about a day, after which it suddenly doesn't anymore, when I surf to the Umbraco site, I get a 404 error "The page cannot be found".
    The existing .NET website keeps on working nicely. I've had this scenario 3 times now.

What bugs me is that it does work for a while before it stops.

I checked the system's application event log, but there's nothing out of the ordinary to be found.

Anyone with an idea why this happens?

Ps. At first the problem was that both websites had a different version of .NET assigned, the existing website was still on .NET 2.0, while Umbraco was obviously on .NET 4.0. But there was a message of that in the application event log, so I switched them all to .NET 4.0.
    I have to say though, when I right click on the folder "web sites" in IIS, and then properties, and then click the ASP.NET tab, it says 2.0.50727 under "ASP.NET version", and the dropdown is greyed out so I can't change it.
    The individual websites have .NET 4.0 selected though.

Thanks a lot for your time.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 06, 2012 @ 12:34
    Ismail Mayat

Dieter,

What version of iis you running also do both websites run in their own app pool if not then move them into own app pool.

Regards

Ismail

• Dieter Walckiers 9 posts 29 karma points
    Jan 06, 2012 @ 12:53
    Dieter Walckiers

Hello Ismail,

They were indeed using the same application pool; DefaultAppPool. I configured the umbraco site now to run in MSSharePointAppPool.
    Is that one ok? I only have three choices: DefaultAppPool, MSSharePointAppPool and StsAdminAppPool.

Let's see if it will survive longer than a day now.

I'm using IIS version 6.0.

Thanks for your help!

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 06, 2012 @ 13:13
    Ismail Mayat

The sharepoint one is probably running something else just create a new app pool and assign the umbraco site to that.

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft