Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• supawat sulamnart 8 posts 28 karma points
    Jan 09, 2012 @ 12:47
    supawat sulamnart

Guide for moving from dev to share web hosting

Hi guys,

I have read a couple of threads about moving local web development to the shared web hosting production site. I have tried to follow advice from the discussions, but it did not seem to work for me.

1. Transfering an existing database to web hosting database using generate scripts task

2. Backup and restore the database

What I am really confused is when I generated sql file using generate scripts in MS SQL Server Management Studio. It generated sql file and everything in the database (fine), but how about the data within the database, how could I import the data?

Coud you please kindly help me on this?

Thank you

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jan 09, 2012 @ 13:19
    Tim

The easiest way to copy data from one instance of SQL server to another, is to use the backup and restore method (IMHO). Note, this will only work if the source and target databases are the same version of SQL Server. For example you CANNOT restore a SQL 2008 backup to SQL 2005.

Are both the versions of SQL Server that you are using the same version?

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jan 09, 2012 @ 13:35
    Michael Latouche

Hello,

From MS SQL Server Management Studio 2008, when you run the "generate SQL scripts" task, one of the options in the table settings is "generate data" (or "populate data" or something similar).

This actually ends up in a script where both the structure and all data are scripted. This is the way I use for first migration from dev to hosting of the sites I build, because backup & restore is not always available at the hosting provider.

Cheers,

Michael.

Jan 09, 2012 @ 13:38
    supawat sulamnart

Thank you Tim and Michael, I will try your mthods

Jan 09, 2012 @ 13:38
    supawat sulamnart

Thank you Tim and Michael, I will try your mthods

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: