Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Holland 283 posts 40 karma points
    Jul 07, 2009 @ 18:09
    Tom Holland

Upgraded to 4.0.2.1 - performance issue.

I'm testing upgrading our umbraco install from version 3.0.5 to 4.0.2.1. Our site has a lot of nodes, 7000+. After upgrading, performance seems to be a fair bit slower on the initial page load for each page on the site, and especially slow for pages which contain embedded .net controls.

Is there a caching change or perhaps a configuration issue I am missing?

I've also experienced a second odd issue with the UI, perhaps also related to caching. From time to time (and perhaps this occurs after a .dll change in the bin), the node tree in the editor is blank. Each section folder is displayed (Content, Developer, etc), but none of the nodes are listed. Using a different browser, touching the web.config, and even restarting IIS or the app pool has no effect, only when I upload a changed .dll will the content tree show up again.

Anyone experience issues like these with an upgrade?

Thanks,
    Tom

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jul 07, 2009 @ 21:21
    Douglas Robar

Hi, Tom,

I'm going to guess you've got an outdated dll in your bin folder that isn't entirely happy with umbraco 4. I've had the empty folders issue and it has been related to custom datatypes that weren't compatible with v4. A recompile against the new umbraco dlls solved it. That may not be the only reason or solution but it worked for me.

Regarding speed... I've had the opposite result with v4 being faster than v3. If you've still got your v3 site around, load a page and add the ?umbDebugShowTrace=true querystring to the url to see the timing of the various processes. Compare the speed of the v3 and v4 sites to see what's different.

Perhaps you'll find that any slowness is related to a specific macro or dll and that, in turn, might be related to the tree issue?

Let us know what you find out.

cheers,
    doug.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 11:44
    Ismail Mayat

Tom,

Is the website in its own app pool.  Also have you noticed any tree refresh issues in the media section?  When i delete item or add item in media i have to manually refresh the tree.

Regards

Ismail

• Tom Holland 283 posts 40 karma points
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 22:49
    Tom Holland

Hi Doug & Ismail,

I posted a reply on this earlier in the day, but it seems to have gone missing...

Our site is running a third party member managment system in the same app pool as umbraco, we access data from this MMS using .net controls in umbraco. The app is HUGE - over 400 dlls, so when the site needs to recompile, it takes forever. This has always been the case, for umbraco v3 and v4, but after the initial compile, performance is very snappy. What I've noticed in the upgraded site is that after the site compiles, the first visit to pages (even those without .net controls) can take an extra few seconds to load the first time. Pages with controls can take quite a bit longer.

For example, my calendar page took 16.5 seconds to load the first time (this is after the site initially compiled following a dll change). The bulk of the time is in the aspx.page - End PreInit (7.94) and the loadUserControl - Usercontrol added with id 'Calendar_6' (8.00sec).

On the second visit, the page loaded in .65 seconds.

The first visit on v3 version was .07 seconds

I've tested several pages (with and without different macros) and the End PreInit phase seems to be consistantly slow on all of these first time visits - does that provide an hints?

As to the second issue - the non-loading content tree - I suspect that if I was paying closer attention, I would have noticed that this occured after a dll change. The UI takes a very long time to load after a dll change (60+ seconds), and the tree will take several seconds beyond that to load. Sometimes it never will load, for any section (content, media, developer, etc). Restarting IIS or the AppPool does not cause the tree to load either, only when I update the bin again and the site compiles again will the tree load.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft