Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• leeatkinson 33 posts 44 karma points
    Jul 07, 2009 @ 22:02
    leeatkinson

Installing on the Rackspace cloud / Mosso

Hi - has anyone had success in installing Umbraco v4 on The Rackspace Cloud (previously called Mosso)? I suspect it's because they only allow Medium Trust, but I've also read that some people have been successful.

Regards

Lee

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 01:01
    Paul Sterling

Lee -

Checkout this post on the old forum for some background:

http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst6057_Installing-v4-on-Mosso.aspx

As I understand it, Rackspace now has only Medium Trust in their 'cloud.'  As it is, you will not be able to run Umbraco successfully in this environment.

There are alternatives though, and at 100 USD per month, you have many options.  We have successfully deployed client sites on shared hosting many places - ReliableSite.net is one of our favorites for cheap-hosting (~5 USD per month).  Also, we have instances running on Amazon's EC2, GoGrid's cloud, and FullControl.Net on dedicated virtual servers.  All of these come in well under the 100 USD that Rackspace has.

Let us know how you end up.

-Paul

Jul 09, 2009 @ 13:21
    leeatkinson

Test

Jul 09, 2009 @ 13:25
    leeatkinson

Thanks for your reply Paul

I spoke to Rackspace and they recently changed the trust level - therefore Umbraco is no longer possible in thei CloudSites.

The issue with Amazon is that it doesn't yet support Win2008. I have been looking at GoGrid, however, they are more expensive - their basic $99 doesn't iinclude outbound transfer at 50c per GB (unless you commit to a large figure). Also, GoGrid only have a US-based datacentre only - they won't be in Europe for 6-12 months.

Lee

• Nate Pickett 13 posts 33 karma points
    Sep 17, 2010 @ 20:25
    Nate Pickett

I have been able to deploy 4.5.2 successfully to Mosso using the following steps:

1. Download "Umbraco 4.5.2 for .NET 3.5" from codeplex (http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/51165).
    2. Install locally
    3. Restore local database to Mosso.
    4. Insure that the web.config app key is set to "umbracoUseMediumTrust" is set to "true".
    5. Add Impersonation to Rackspace ftp account for site:
      <impersonate="true" userName="[yourdatacenter]\[yourftpusername]" password="[yourftppassword]" />
    6. Ftp file contents to Mosso
    7. Put in request to rackspace to add symlinks.

Nate

• Giorgos Grispos 145 posts 179 karma points
    Oct 06, 2010 @ 16:29
    Giorgos Grispos

Hello,

I know it's been along time since you post that issue. I'll try now to set up an umbraco site following the steps you mentioned above however I got a question about the symlinks. What exactly are symlinks and what do they do in Umbraco. Should I ask the support team to activate that?

thanks,
    Giorgos

• Nate Pickett 13 posts 33 karma points
    Oct 14, 2010 @ 16:13
    Nate Pickett

A symlink is short for symbolic link which is a file that contains a reference to a file or directory.  They are used within unix based systems (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link).  Mosso cloud sites is running the windows virtualized environment on a unix based system. 

I was experiencing a security exception.  In Mosso, when a .net 3.5 application needs to create a subfolder for a particular client, it checks to see if the user has rights to all of the parent folders.  In my case, I was using a secondary user, not the primary user in Mosso.  My secondary user in Mosso did not have access rights to all of the parent folders so I was getting security exception. By having Mosso support install symlinks, it resolved the security exception as the symlinks provided access to the parent folders for my secondary user.

I am still experiencing some issues with Umbraco on Mosso.  I am not able to install packages in the Mosso environment.  Instead, I backport the database, run the install locally and then restore the database at Mosso and ftp the updated files to Mosso.  Additionally, I have a ticket open with rackspace on a security exception when using search.  

Please share any of your successes/workarounds.  

Thanks! -Nate

• Patrick 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 11, 2011 @ 23:35
    Patrick

Sorry for the bump, Paul - do you have any recommendations for the server specs with Amazon EC2?  What type of amazon server config can handle what type of workload? At peaks we would have 500 simultaneous users viewing a single page (press release) and on average about 150 pages views per hour.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft