Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jan 25, 2012 @ 20:46
    Nick

Installing Umbraco 5 RC2 - please help!!!!!

Hello,

I'm installing Umbraco 5 (Release Candidate 2) for the first time on Windows Server 2008, with database installation pointing to a remote SQL Server instance.  Here's the behavior and error:

1) I go through the install process on Step 1.  Everything is fine.

2) The database install wizard "pretends" everything works fine.  It goes through the DB portion way too fast.  Clicking continue takes me back to Step 1.  This repeats every time I try.

Please help, as I am ready to throw my PC out the window (or move on to another CMS).

Regards,

Nick

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 25, 2012 @ 21:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nick and welcome to our! :)

Have you made sure that your permissions for network service and iusr on the umbraco root folder havde been set correctly? And have you made a db user with sufficient permissions on the db server as well?

And do you by any chanche run AVG on the server?

Instead of installing RC2 I think you should try to install RC3, which has just been released today http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/81101

I've seen other people have issues getting redirected after install has ended...must admit that I can't remember why this happens.

Keep in mind that Umbraco 5 is still under development so it's not all polished up yet and if you encouter some bugs that have not already been reported I'm sure the Umbraco core team and HQ and the whole community will greatly appreciate it if you will take the time to report them here: http://issues.umbraco.org/dashboard/#tab=Hints

Also if you simply just want to get up and running with Umbraco 5 quickly to just give it a spin and see what it's all about then I would recommend that you use the CE SQL db if installing on the remote sql server does not succeed.

I hope these pointers help and please don't hesitate to ask questions or report potential bugs.

Cheers,

Jan

Jan 25, 2012 @ 22:53
    Nick

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your response.  Installing RC3 seemed to do the trick - however, the default page did not get overwritten. Navigating to localhost simply prompts me to install again, but the site has been installed.

Is this by design?  If so, what are next steps?  Apologies if this is a rudimentary question, I have never worked with Umbraco before.

Thanks,

Nick

Jan 25, 2012 @ 23:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nick

You're very welcome - the more questions the better, it helps us all learn and others in your situation will perhaps find this post and find a solution faster. So asking benefits all of us :)

Did you install with or without the devdataset? If you installed the devdataset I think you should see a homepage by going to your localhost. Otherwise it's empty. This will be changed when U5 reaches final - one should be prompted about creating content for the site instead of doing the install all over again, which is just confusing.

If you want to try out a stable version of Umbraco it's probably most safe to install Umbraco 4.7.1.1, which is recommended for starting new sites at the moment. However Umbraco 4 is based on ASP.NET webforms and as you may know Umbraco 5 is MVC.

However to get the workflow in Umbraco you will probably catch it a lot quicker by installing a local instance of V4 since the backoffice concepts and UI is 99% identical between the two versions the concepts will be almost the same.

So to get a head start on the concepts of building sites in Umbraco I think you should install a clean (no starter kits) 4.7.1.1 and then after installation go to the developer section, expand the "packages" folder and choose the repository. Search for "CWS" and install this package, which is a good starting point to learn how a webpage is constructed in Umbraco.

You can probably also benefit from skimming through this WIKI entry: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/a-complete-newbie%27s-guide-to-umbraco

After playing a bit around with v4 I'm confident you will quickly catch how you can create document types, assign templates and create content in the content section in Umbraco 5.

I hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 25, 2012 @ 23:28
    Nick

Hi Jan,

Sadly, 4.7.1.1 does not fit our needs - we need MVC3 functionality.

The devdataset does not install for some reason.  If I navigate into the content section of the admin panel, it is blank. I'll keep scouring the forum and KB for pointers, any additional help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Jan 25, 2012 @ 23:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nick

Ah, I see.

Just thought that giving 4.7.1.1 a spin i terms of how to create document types etc. could give you a head start in order to "get" the concepts in Umbraco, which are the same in 5.

I have not yet installed RC3 mysfelf so I don't know if the devdataset has been removed from the installation screens. But if it's not actively selected it won't get installed.

As you have noticed a clean install of Umbraco is pretty empty. Nothing has been defined or setup for you. It gives you an empty shell in which you can build the website according to your clients needs.

In order to be able to create nodes in the content tree you need to do this (This is just a quick guide)

1. Go to the "Settings section" and right click the "document types" folder and create a new document type called "Homepage". Keep the "Create mathing template" option checked.
    2. On the created document type go to the "tabs" tab and create a tab called "Content".
    3. Go to the "Properties" tab and add some properties
    4. When you have added some properties hit "save"
    5. Go to the content section and right click the "Content" node an choose "create". Now you can select the "Homepage" node - give it a name and hit create
    6. Add some content in the properties you have created on it and click the "Save and publish" icon in order to both save and publish the node. The icon is the second from the left
    7. Now you have created a website, which is visible when you go to the localhost - however it's probably just blank since the template is empty
    8. Go go the "Settings section" and expand the templates folder - here you can see the "homepage" template, which was created and associated with your "hompage" document type. Write something here and hit save - go to localhost in your browser - now you should see the entered text.

In the template editor you have just used in step 8 you have options to insert values from the document type by adding an Umbraco page field (second button, right to the "save" icon. You can also insert partials etc. here

On the document type section you can also create more document types and inherit properties from multiple document types, which allows you to create some advanced property inheritance. You can of course also define, the structure of, which document types are allowed to be created under each other etc.

I hope the above steps make sense and is enough to get you started with some basics - if you're familiar with native ASP.NET MVC you should be able to quickly figure out how Umbraco 5 works, since it's all MVC.

Have fun :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft