Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• rob 75 posts 170 karma points
    Jan 31, 2012 @ 14:53
    rob

'The installer cannot connect to the database.' [solved]

got the dreaded 'The installer cannot connect to the database.' during a manual install.

• Checked file permisions
    • Insured that server was set to mixed mode
    • Connected with the user credetials via SQL Management studio
    • Made sure the user had permissions.

ran 

EXEC xp_readerrorlog;

on the SQL server and found real error was

Login failed for user 'umbraco'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database. [CLIENT: ]

had to run the SQL Profiler (Errors and Warning/User Errors and Security/login failed) to find that the connection string was causing the real (real) error 

Cannot open database "umbraco" requested by the login. The login failed.

the database was called "umbraco2"

thats right, a tiny typo had caused me hours of frustration.

hope this helps someone.

• Gus Deadman 45 posts 65 karma points
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:55
    Gus Deadman

I have a similar problem, though I don't know my way around SQLServer enough to establish what databases there are and wouldn't know the passwords anyway.

When I try to install Umbraco 5 on my local machine using XP Pro and the Web Platform installer or the Web Matrix it always fails at the same point. I get to the point where it asks me to create a database or use an existing one. I put in the details and get the error

"Cannot connect to the database". A network related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to the SQL Server. The Server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connection. (provider: SQL Network Interface, error:26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

I didn't get very far with the SQL Server management studio as it asked me for database details and I haven't got any.

I have had this working a few weeks ago but uninstalled it and now I can't install it.

Is the problem with Umbraco or SQL Server?

• Gus Deadman 45 posts 65 karma points
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:08
    Gus Deadman

Interestingly, I've just been into Visual Studio 2005 and attempted to create a new database and got almost the same error;

"A network related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to the SQL Server. The Server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connection. (provider: SQL Network Interface, error:26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

So still no clues.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft