Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• NiQ 24 posts 45 karma points
    Feb 01, 2012 @ 10:42
    NiQ

"Value was either to large or too small" Umbraco 5 installation, connectionstring

I get this error message when I click to use an empty Windows Server 2008 database:

An error occured while testing connection string: Value was either too large or too small for an Int32.

I have entered all neccesary information such as server, database, username and password.

• Jon 36 posts 59 karma points
    Feb 01, 2012 @ 11:24
  • Alex Norcliffe 222 posts 287 karma points
    Feb 01, 2012 @ 12:23
    Alex Norcliffe

Hi NiQ, please can you run the following query on your SQL Server 2008 db and report back what results you get?

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')
  • Marty 7 posts 52 karma points
    Feb 13, 2012 @ 12:28
    Marty

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as NiQ - Once I enter a valid connection string, the error above appears. Interestingly, this is only if the connection string is correct. If I deliberately enter an incorrect username / password, then the error that is returned (as expected) is:

An error occured while testing connection string: Login failed for user 'dbusername'.

I've been using Umbraco 4 for a while now for a number of sites and not had this error message before. The installation is on a Plesk shared hosting environment, with MSSQL 2008 as the database.

Alex, I have ran your SQL Query with the following result:

9.00.5000.00    SP4    Workgroup Edition

• Alex Norcliffe 222 posts 287 karma points
    Feb 13, 2012 @ 13:04
    Alex Norcliffe

Hi there, according to http://www.sqlteam.com/article/sql-server-versions you're actually running against SQL Server 2005 - if your hosting account does have 2008, please check you've picked the right instance name when you put in the connection details

• Marty 7 posts 52 karma points
    Feb 13, 2012 @ 14:38
    Marty

Hi Alex,

My mistake, it is SQL Server 2005 that's on the host server (I'm running 2008 on my local machine and it works fine), so that looks like it is the problem. I'll upgrade to SQL Server 2008 and report back.

Thanks for your help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft