Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Drew DeVault 22 posts 43 karma points
    Feb 06, 2012 @ 19:55
    Drew DeVault

Umbraco 5 - I have no idea what I'm doing

I'm used to creating a new site in IIS, spinning off a database, copying some files and running through the web installer.  But 5.0 is distributed in a different format, and I am unsure of how to install it.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2012 @ 20:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Drew

In order to be able to install Umbraco 5 you need to make sure that you have all the neccesary dependencies installed.

Since Umbraco 5 is based on MVC you will need both MVC2 and MVC3 framework installed.

If these frameworks are already installed and you have a MSSQL server setup (you could also use SQL CE) then it should business as usual.

Must admit that I have not tried installing U5 using an installer but only done it using the zip download from codeplex. You can get the zip file here: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/81440 - Here there are also some notes about how to setup Umbraco 5 so perhaps you can figure something out from reading these.

Otherwise also make sure that sufficient permissions have been set.

Also be aware that if you have AVG installed you should disable it during the installation of Umbraco for some reason.

Hope some of these pointers help. Otherwise please don't hesitate to ask further questions and perhaps describe your installation process in a bit more detail.

Feb 06, 2012 @ 21:31
    Drew DeVault

Thanks Jan,

I'm currently upgrading our development server from 2003 to 2008.  Once it completes, I'll try setting up a sandbox again and report my results.

Feb 08, 2012 @ 21:20
    Drew DeVault

So the updates are complete, and I'm getting a 404 not found upon viewing that website at /install.  I don't see a default.aspx or anything like it.  The same server is currently hosting another three 4.7.1 instances with no trouble.

I installed MVC 2 and 3, .NET 4.0, etc, and added the site to IIS 7.  I set up the hostnames and such, and placed the contents of the first download on Codeplex into the appropriate directory.

Feb 08, 2012 @ 23:20
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Drew

Hmm that's odd.

Could you describe the exact seteps of your process in a bit more detail like

1) Unzip and unblock the zip file from codeplex
    2) Creating site in IIS and pointing it to the extracted umbraco folder
    3) Etc...

Then it will be easier to advise on some points that are worth checking out in more detail.

/Jan

Feb 08, 2012 @ 23:23
    Drew DeVault

Thanks for your response,

I just discovered the problem a few moments ago.  I set up the hostname in IIS to sub, rather than sub.domain.tld.

Feb 08, 2012 @ 23:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Drew

Cool, I'm happy to hear you managed tol solve it. Sometimes it's just so easy to overlook some small details leading to frustration...:)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft