Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• D 4 posts 24 karma points
    Feb 08, 2012 @ 08:27
    D

Existing Site not working now

Hi,

Before month i had just developed one site in umbraco and it was working fine on my hosting server as well.

Now i need to make some changes in that site but i am not able to configure that site in my local machine.

any idea ? how to configure already developed site (that site was also developed in umbraco) ?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 08, 2012 @ 08:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi D and welcome to the community :)

In order to have a local development version of the site you need to copy the files from the server to your local machine and then you need to script the content of the database and import the dump on a either a local DB instance or a remote DB instance.

You can also use the same DB as the live site is running on but then you must be aware that if you add new content for testing purposes on your local machine this will of course also be created on the live site. However it will not be shown imidiately since the umbraco.config xml cache has not been republished...but you should really avoid this approach since it can mess up your live site.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• D 4 posts 24 karma points
    Feb 08, 2012 @ 08:41
    D

hi Jan Skovgaard,

thank you very much for the reply.

i do the same things. but was not able to get it worked.

i am getting the versioning error at web.config. (3.5 vs 4.0)

please adivce.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 08, 2012 @ 23:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi D

Could you please post the content of the warning you get?

You of course need to make sure that all the neccesary dependencies for running Umbraco on your local development machine exists. The most easy way to make sure everything is installed is to install WebMatrix from http://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/ and then choose to install Umbraco from the applications...

Then WebMatrix will do all the hard work telling you what needs to be installed besides the Umbraco application of course.

Afterwards you should be able to copy the files from your server, establish the database connection on your local machine and of course make sure that the network service and iusr has full permission on the Umbraco root folder all the way down to the last level inside it.

Then create a website in IIS where the app pool is running ASP.NET and Integrated mode.

I hope this makes a bit sense and helps a bit.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft