Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alex 22 posts 105 karma points
    Feb 13, 2012 @ 02:55
    Alex

Umbraco 5 vs Umbraco 4

Hello,

I installed Umbraco 5 and learning it now. But all documentation, training videos about Umbraco4 and it looks like Umbraco 4 is more powerfull than 5. Is it true? looks like umbraco 4 has more features, more modules.... than 5, correct?

Is it good time to start learning Umbraco 5 now or it's better to start with 4 and wait untill v5 will be at least the same as v4.

Thanks.

• John 115 posts 150 karma points
    Feb 13, 2012 @ 04:39
    John

Yes Umbraco 4 is more feature rich at the moment. Things will not stay that way for ever though.

It is always a good time to start learning umbraco 5 :)

What is best for you to work with? That's a subject question. It depends on your requirements and what you are trying to achieve. Nobody can answer that question for you. At least not with a lot more information. Perhaps if you give more details of what you are trying to achieve someone may be able to give you some advice.

Personally, I would err on the side of going with V5 if you possibly can. Just because v5 is the way of the future.

• Markus Johansson 1914 posts 5761 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 13, 2012 @ 06:15
    Markus Johansson

Hi!

I agree with John and would like to say like Niels said when this question was rasied in the swedish user group. If no one will go with V5 there will be no progress in the product. I think everyone who can should go with that version and provide feedback about the experience so that HQ can improve V5.

// M

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Feb 23, 2012 @ 03:21
    Funka!

Hi,

We just got introduced to Umbraco and started with it last September, and since then have rolled out almost two dozen v4.7.x sites on it so far and have absolutely been loving working with it.  I'm now taking the plunge and trying to get my first v5 site up and running, and my feeling at the moment completely echoes your own:  too few resources on learning v5, and too hard finding them. For example, the Umbraco TV subscription we are paying for has a drop-down filter that asks "which version?", but this only goes up to 4.7.1.  No mention of v5 at all!

Despite having kept up with, and going back and re-reading (and re-re-reading!) every v5 official blog post so far, and constantly trolling these forums looking for clues, we still don't have a complete mental model of what we need to start doing differently to get up to speed with v5 versus what we already have learned with v4.7. We are very familiar with and do love ASP.NET MVC, so we welcome/embrace this paradigm shift, but we're not quite sure where exactly to find that "feature comparison" which shows in detail what we gain and what we lose when having to decide whether to stick with 4.7 (for now), or jump to v5. At least, what we've found so far is not so much practical advice, as it is conceptual ideas about what's different---which is nice in a philosophical sense but not so much with helping us roll out more sites quickly and efficiently.

We are at a perfect point right now to shift all development focus on new sites from v4.7.x to v5, but just wish there were maybe more "hands-on" practical documentation and/or videos on this topic. We probably will slug through it since we can see the end-goal on the horizon, but for someone new and just getting started with Umbraco, I'm, not sure if that's the path I'd be able to recommend unless you have the determination to slug through it as well.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck!

• Alex 22 posts 105 karma points
    Apr 17, 2012 @ 05:59
    Alex

Hi Funca!, does 4.x can handle 400+ pages? Now I faced performance issue with 5.1 beta, it can't handle 400+ pages (it's extreamly slow)

• John 115 posts 150 karma points
    Apr 17, 2012 @ 08:20
    John

I have a 4.7.1 site that has 700+ nodes of content with no poor performance issues.

I can't speak for 5.1, but a beta is a beta, and I am sure they will resolve any issues sooner or later....even if it's like...5.5 or something before that happens..

• Biagio Paruolo 1594 posts 1825 karma points c-trib
    Apr 23, 2012 @ 17:22
    Biagio Paruolo

@Alexander: see www.asp.net site... I think is on 4.7 version and it don't have 400 pages...-:)

• Daren 8 posts 26 karma points
    Apr 24, 2012 @ 00:41
    Daren

if the asp.net site is using 4.7, then does that mean they are using extenionless urls in IIS7, cas i don't see any .aspx endings on most of their urls

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft