Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John Daly 4 posts 24 karma points
    Feb 15, 2012 @ 15:11
    John Daly

Installing umbraco 5.0 on Windows 7 - Professional

I can't seem to get this install, I installed it using Webmatrix, and if I type in the localhost name that I have set up on my machine as http://umbraco I get the default page telling me that it is not fully installed and gives me the option to get started and runs the following url http://umbraco/Install.

Which as I am looking in Fiddler seems to generate a 504 status code on anything with http://umbraco/Install on it, but it gets to the another page (that doesn't look like it is styled)...but is the welcome screen. I click on the only link on the page, and it runs the following url: http://umbraco/Install/Database

The browser spins for a while and then times out, with can't find page and so on. Wee bit frustrating, as I was hoping to evaluate this CMS and haven't been able to do so. Any ideas on what I need to do, to move past this issue?

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Feb 15, 2012 @ 15:27
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

Unfortunately I can't speak from experience on this issue, but the fact that you said the welcome screen doesn't look styled leads me to believe it may be a permissions issue.  Have you verified the user running your app pool has full control permissions on the website files?

-Tom

Feb 15, 2012 @ 16:13
    John Daly

It was whatever was set up default by the installation process, which this case is ApplicationPoolIdentity, I guess I should point I am running this on Windows7 Professional 64bit.

Feb 15, 2012 @ 16:15
    Tom Fulton

Try checking the folder that your website is running in and make sure NETWORK SERVICE and/or IIS_IUSRS has full permissions.

• Jonathan Saxon 59 posts 86 karma points
    Feb 15, 2012 @ 16:37
    Jonathan Saxon

Are you using the integrated app pool.

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Feb 15, 2012 @ 17:46
    bob baty-barr

first things first... did you unblock the zip file before extracting?

next... triple check permissions for Network Service - or whatever your app pool identity is set to... be sure to grant full control over everythign [just to get started]

you then should be able to install... just ran through this last night on my win7 pro as well...

Feb 16, 2012 @ 04:15
    John Daly

thanks for all the replies on this, I have being having a really hard time with this installation process. I tried it on my work machine and ran into all kinds of problems with IIS set up and permissions. Resolved the IIS and permissions, but still couldn't get the thing to install for me. I tried it on my home machine, and I have IIS running local, but it keeps going into web matrix mode. I don't want to run this in Webmatrix, I will continue trying to get this installed, as I really would like to use the software.

Feb 16, 2012 @ 14:05
    Tom Fulton

Hi John,

On your work PC, what problems were you having after you resolved your IIS and permissions issue?

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with WebMatrix much so can't really advise you on the home machine issue, I'm sure someone else will have some input though :)

Feb 17, 2012 @ 04:21
    John Daly

Tom,

I am not sure if the 5.0 set up is bug free or not, I was able to get 4.7.x to install without any issues. Smooth sailing the whole way through. As to the 5.x version, after I had sorted the permissions and iis issue, I couldn't get the installer to work. It kept crashing out at install/Database, no errors and I was not seeing anything in fiddler or within yslow in firefox. For now I have something installed, just now need to figure out how to build a site in it. :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft