Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• kebabskal 27 posts 26 karma points
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 09:28
    kebabskal

Umbraco growing on disk and filling application pool

Hello!

About two months ago I released my first bigger umbraco site. It's got 6-700 subpages and about as many images. (Mostly cooking recipes).
    At first everything chugged along just fine, but soon I started to notice the umbraco folder growing on the server. At several occations filling the disk and making all the sites on that server unreachable. I "solved" it by cleaning up old files in other sites.
    I do have lots of high-res images that is scaled down to appropriate size using ImageGen, and my first guess would be that this is the culprit. How can I check/clear the cache?

Also, I have no proof its the umbraco site that is causing this, but I figure it is since I have never had the problem before:
    At times my server gives a "Service Unavailable" on all sites i have. The tech-support people chalks this error up to "Filling the application pool". This is easily remedied by restarting the iis service on the server.

Does anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot and (hopefully) fix these issues?

I'm using Umbraco 4.0.0 (started developing the site on umbraco 4 beta) on Windows Server 2003, IIS 6.0, .net 1.0-3.5, Sql Server Express 9.0.3042 on a virtual server (1 gig of ram ~2.8ghz).

Best regards
    /Hannes

By the way, this is not really an installation question, but I don't know what else fits better. Maybe add a Troubleshooting section?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 09:56
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Some tips:

- Add caching to your macro's
    - Check the umbraco log table, it can be safely emptied (although I think old versions of your documents will be gone)
    - The large images stay somewhere on the disk in the original format (if I'm not mistaken)
    - Disable debug mode in your web.config:

<add key="umbracoDebugMode" value="false" />

and:

<compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false" batch="false">

- Disable tracing in your web.config:

<trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false" traceMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true" />

I hope others have more ideas on the application pool running out of memory, maybe you should set it to recycle more often (default is once every 24 hours), but it's not a solution. You should try to figure out why so much memory gets used.

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jul 13, 2009 @ 09:58
    Darren Ferguson

Clearing the umbracoLog table does not impact on previous revisions of your content.

• Nico Lubbers 151 posts 175 karma points
    Jul 14, 2009 @ 23:16
    Nico Lubbers

Maybe not much of a help, but in IIS you should at least isolate each application in it's own application pool.

That way you can see which application is causing the error, and it will not have impact on the other applications.

Another advantage is that you can restart a single applicationpool instead of restarting IIS.

Nico

• Nico Lubbers 151 posts 175 karma points
    Jul 14, 2009 @ 23:24
    Nico Lubbers

Here a link how to configure the application pool, make sure to have a look on page 2 as well for how to set your IIS instance to another applicationpool

http://www.developer.com/net/asp/article.php/2245511

Nico

• Casey Neehouse 1339 posts 483 karma points MVP 2x admin
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 08:39
    Casey Neehouse

hi kebabskal

If you have a huge media folder, it is likely an issue with ImageGen.  I have had several sites exploded in using ImageGen to resize images.  It is a caching bug which I believe has been corrected.  You may need to check you version and download the latest version from Doug's site.

To clear the cache folders, you can script it using a user control or various other ways.  I have server access, so I did a search and deleted all cache folders when replacing the dll.

Case

Jul 15, 2009 @ 08:44
    Casey Neehouse

Also, regarding the application pool failing, there is likely an app or piece of code that is erroring quickly.  By default, app pools are set to fail after a few errors in a short time frame.  You can increase this number to help, but I would not increase it too much.  The best thing to do is to find which sites are erroring by looking at the event logs and also segmenting your sites to find the culprit.

Also, depending upon which database you are using, sometimes some db tweaks can improve performance and alleviate some common issues.

Jul 15, 2009 @ 08:48
    Casey Neehouse

I see you are using SQL Express.  For each database, set the Auto Close setting to false.  This setting causes some issues when running several databases.  Also, consider limiting SQL's memory footprint, as SQL will use every byte it can get.  Since you have 1GB, set the limit to something like 400 or 500 MB.

1 GB is only about enough to run about 10-15 sites stabily in my experience.

• Finn 86 posts 50 karma points
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 09:47
    Finn

I got the exact same problem using umbraco 4.0.2 and imagegen 2.0.1 (newest download from the website) Is there a newer version of imagegen and If so, where to find it?

/Finn

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 09:55
    Peter Dijksterhuis

You can best contact Douglas directly for this. I'm afraid he didn't have time yet to update the package on his site.

Jul 16, 2009 @ 19:26
    Casey Neehouse

email me if you can't get hold of Doug, as I have a copy.

casey at neehouse dot com.

Case

Jul 16, 2009 @ 19:40
    Casey Neehouse

Ahh.. Doug released the latest version... http://our.umbraco.org/projects/imagegen

• kebabskal 27 posts 26 karma points
    Jul 21, 2009 @ 12:30
    kebabskal

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm trying things out, and so far it has worked.
    I updated ImageGen to a later version and the cache folder has not yet exploded. It's still kinda big, but i have a lot of resized images and dynamic image titles.

The application pool stuff seemed to happen about every 3-4 weeks. (on sundays which is a high load day for this site.)

Looks like it's going to work now.

Thanks again!

/Hannes

• Tony H 52 posts 69 karma points
    Aug 13, 2009 @ 10:20
    Tony H

I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm not sure about the disk size (haven't checked it) but I have problem with application pool growing (which seems to result in website going down). When I had a look in the Eventlog I got these errors:

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Consolas; panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:modern; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750091 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-link:"Oformaterad text Char"; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.5pt; font-family:Consolas; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} span.OformateradtextChar {mso-style-name:"Oformaterad text Char"; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-locked:yes; mso-style-link:"Oformaterad text"; mso-ansi-font-size:10.5pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.5pt; font-family:Consolas; mso-ascii-font-family:Consolas; mso-hansi-font-family:Consolas;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

"A process serving application pool '(domain)(2.0)(pool)' suffered a fatal communication error with the World Wide Web Publishing Service. The process id was '21992'. The data field contains the error number."

"Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 8/10/2009 10:26:38 AM

Event time (UTC): 8/10/2009 8:26:38 AM

Event ID: 7b24254fd8c340c18baacc012d459298 Event sequence: 864 Event occurrence: 1 Event detail code: 0 ...

Exception information:

Exception type: HttpException

Exception message: Invalid viewstate."

This made the website go down with the following errors shown when trying to access the website:

"not enough storage is available to process this command" ...or... "Service Unavailable" ...or just... "0x00000008"

I've looked up the "invalid viewstate" error which seems to be a IE with .Net AJAX bugg - I think I solved this by setting charset, read more about it in this article: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/728513/erratic-invalid-viewstate-issue-in-net-application

But the application pool still seems to be growing (rapidly from approx 100Mb to approx 800Mb) untill IIS restarts application pool.

I have the ImageGen 2.0.1 installed on a Umbraco 4.0.0.

The ImageGen 2.0.1 I have installed is created in 2008, there can't exist a newer version with same versionname, can it?!?

Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!
    Regards, Tony H

Aug 13, 2009 @ 10:28
    Tony H

"A process serving application pool '(domain)(2.0)(pool)' suffered a fatal communication error with the World Wide Web Publishing Service. The process id was '21992'. The data field contains the error number."

"Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 8/10/2009 10:26:38 AM

Event time (UTC): 8/10/2009 8:26:38 AM

Event ID: 7b24254fd8c340c18baacc012d459298 Event sequence: 864 Event occurrence: 1 Event detail code: 0 ...

Exception information:

Exception type: HttpException

Exception message: Invalid viewstate."

Aug 13, 2009 @ 10:31
    Tony H

Sorry about the crazy font-definitions in posts above - don't know how they got there and couldn't edit my post after submit...

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Aug 13, 2009 @ 12:30
    Douglas Robar

There is a patch to ImageGen, which will be version 2.2. You can find it at http://our.umbraco.org/projects/imagegen

That may or may not be related to your problem, but it is a good patch to have nonetheless. Give it a try and see what happens.

cheers,
    doug.

Aug 14, 2009 @ 09:29
    Tony H

Thanks Douglas,

I've installed the patch and it probably works. But my application pool still grows rapidly and approximately once a day the website goes down and the browser shows the message:

"Not enough storage is available to process this command"

This issue is getting frustrating...

I've now updated charset in http header to utf-8 as suggested in other forum thread and updated ImageGen to 2.2.1 as suggested in this article.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Regards, Tony H

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft