Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon 17 posts 37 karma points
    Feb 16, 2012 @ 22:33
    Simon

Umbraco 5 Installation Problem

Hi,

I've been trying to get umbraco 5 installed on my local machine for a while with no success. I've read and followed every forum post I can find.

No matter what I do when I finish setting up a new site in IIS 7.5 including giving all users full permissions when I browse to localhost/install I get a 404 not found error. If I browse to localhost I get a 403 forbidden error.

The steps I've followed are:

• Download Umbraco 5.0 from codeplex
    • Unzip
    • Create a new site in IIS pointing to the unzipped folder
    • Give permissions to NETWORK SERVICE and IIS_IUSRS
    • Browse to localhost and get errors.
    I started off getting several different errors which were all resolved by setting the permissions.
    I'm running Win7 64.
    I'm hoping there's something I'm not doing that is so obvious that it's not mentioned in any other posts!
    Any help or pointers gratefully received.
    Thanks
    S

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 16, 2012 @ 23:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Simon

Have you remembered to unblock the zip file, before unzipping it?

And have you unzipped the content into the wwwroot folder? If so try unzipping the files into another directory and go to IIS and create a new site and make sure it's pointing on the new folder and setup af hostname like umbraco5.local.

Then you will also need to add the hostname in the .hosts file of course - when that is done try browsing umbraco5.local.

(Remember to set the permissions for network service and iusrs on the root of the folder as well inheriting all the way down and make sure the app pool is running integrated mode and .NET4).

Hope some of these pointers help.

/Jan

Feb 17, 2012 @ 00:53
    Simon

Thanks for your quick reply Jan.

I followed your steps: unblocking and unzipping to a non wwwroot folder, setting the host name and updating the host file, setting the app pool to 4.0 and integrated mode and adding full permissions to network service and iusrs...and....I still get the 403 page.

I'm wondering if I'm somehow not setting the permissions correctly, when I view the advanced security settings for the folder I extracted to, network services and iis_iusrs is set as <not inherited>.

I think my next step will have to be trying to install on another pc to try and tule out any weird setup issues I may have going on.

Thanks for you help.

S

Feb 18, 2012 @ 11:05
    Simon

Ok, so....I've tried to install umbraco 5 on a different machine, running through the same steps.

The stage I'm at now is when brosing to the installation I get: 

The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the section is locked at a parent level. Locking is either by default (overrideModeDefault="Deny"), or set explicitly by a location tag with overrideMode="Deny" or the legacy allowOverride="false".

I received this error when trying to install previously and by following various bits of advice managed to circumvent it, ending up with the issues outlined in my previous post. I'm now wondering if what I did to get around this problem caused further problems down the line of the installation.

Why do I get these configuration errors when trying to access my local installation and what is the best way to fix them?

Thanks

S

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft