Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Hulatt 47 posts 59 karma points
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 19:22
    Paul Hulatt

Problems running Umbraco on a UNC share

We have a new server setup for our Umbraco sites which is 5 x VMWare ESXi virtual Windows 2008 R2/IIS 7.5 servers running across 2 large physical servers.  All data is stored on a single Dell PowerVault MD3200i SAN and currently the IIS servers access the SAN via UNC which is served by FreeNAS.

I have setup a test site on one of the servers, with the AppPool running under the context of a windows user I created for the purpose as running using ApplicationPoolIdentity resulted in permissions errors.  This appears to work initially however after a short time I get the following errors in Event Viewer:

Failed to start monitoring changes to '\\fileserver\WebShare\Umbraco_Test' because the network BIOS command limit has been reached. For more information on this error, please refer to Microsoft knowledge base article 810886. Hosting on a UNC share is not supported for the Windows XP Platform.

I have tried making the registry changes referenced in the Microsoft KB article however this does not resolve the issue.

I have also tried setting FCNMode=2 and whilst this stopped the error above, it also prevented the client-facing site from reflecting any changes made to MasterPages/XSLT in the admin section until the AppPool was recycled.

If anyone has experienced any similar problems I would be grateful for some help with this issue as it is extremely frustrating at the moment.

Thanks

Paul

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Feb 21, 2012 @ 19:28
    Stefan Kip

Having the exact same issue... Haven't found a fix though :-(

• Lars Mortensen 90 posts 98 karma points
    Mar 15, 2012 @ 13:25
    Lars Mortensen

Hi

I fixed this by using af symbolic link, som umbraco think it uses a local path.

The link can be made form a command promt, and should be done on alle webservers, by running the command:

mklink /D c:\IISData \\iis\iisdata\ (Please edit path as needed)

Regards Lars.

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Mar 15, 2012 @ 13:47
    Stefan Kip

@Lars

But it's still on a share, so eventually you'll hit the network BIOS command limit right?

• Lars Mortensen 90 posts 98 karma points
    Mar 15, 2012 @ 14:16
    Lars Mortensen

You are absolutly correct!

I didn't read the question properly, because I thought this was another thread, sorry!

/Lars

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft