Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon 17 posts 37 karma points
    Feb 23, 2012 @ 00:55
    Simon

Umbraco 5 install problem - Web Platform Installer and manual install

I've tried installing umbraco 5 manually (downloading the zip, creating IIS site, permissions etc) and I've tried installing via web platform installer.

In both instances when I browse to the root of the site I created I get a 403 error:

"HTTP Error 403.13 - Forbidden, The web server is configured to not list the contents of this directory".

If I browse directly to the install folder I get a 404 error, resource not found.

Installing via web matrix seemed to complete successfully, no problems creating the site adding the host entry or creating a new db.

I can only imagine that I have a permissions problem but I've given full access to NETWORK SERVICE and IIS_IUSRS.

Has anyone come across this problem before? I see lots of forum posts detailing problems installing but not identical. 

I've tried installing on two different machines both with exactly the same result.

Simon

• Eray 11 posts 31 karma points
    Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:16
    Eray

you must give modify permission to app_data, app_plugin, bin folders.

Feb 23, 2012 @ 15:02
    Simon

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately all users have full control over all folders and I am still presented with the same errors.

Does anyone have any ideas...I have no idea how to proceed now.

Thanks.

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Feb 23, 2012 @ 15:10
    jaygreasley

Hi 

Did you unblock the zip file before unzipping it?

Also, when you set permissions, did you set it to cascade to subfolders etc?

J

Feb 23, 2012 @ 15:25
    Simon

Hi J,

Yep, I unblocked the zip folder, the exact same issue is happening when I use the web platform installer as well.

I've set all permissions to be inherited via the advanced security settings - all users are now not inheriting from parent and all permissions are applied to "This folder, subfolders and files".

Still no joy.

I do seem to be able to install via web matrix and IIS Express, so I'm sure it must be a permission/IIS issue somewhere. 

When I install via the WPI I do get the congratualtions message telling me I've successfully installed all the IIS products.

When I click on the "Launch Umbraco CMS 5" it does take me to http://umbraco5.local//install (notice the 2 foward slashes)...not sure if this is indicative of something...

S

• Steven Grant 6 posts 26 karma points
    Feb 24, 2012 @ 23:40
    Steven Grant

Have the same issue myself unfortunately.

• Keith Jackson 183 posts 552 karma points
    Feb 27, 2012 @ 22:37
    Keith Jackson

Me too - I'm not really feeling the U5 joy right now

Feb 28, 2012 @ 16:27
    Simon

Ok, so I finally got Umbraco V5 installed via the Web Platform Installer using IIS 7.5.

Using the .net 4.0 framework installer I repaired the framework to its original state.

I then installed Umbraco v5 again in exactly the same way as I had done many times previously, updated my host file to match the site I created and everything worked without a hitch.

I have no idea what was wrong with my framework installation.

If you're having the same issue it would be a good place to start.

S.

• Tony Bolton 83 posts 109 karma points
    Mar 31, 2012 @ 23:08
    Tony Bolton

Just a note as I stumbled on this post after forgetting to change my app pool - you get the same error if your app pool in IIS 7 is not set to v4 Integrated mode.  By default mine was set to v4 classic and it came up with the same directory issue post-install.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft