Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas Berling 30 posts 50 karma points
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 22:22
    Jonas Berling

Install of 4.7.1.1 halted at database step (step 3)

I'm trying to install v4.7.1.1 on shared host.

I've created my SQL Server database, copied all the installation files (not the web deploy installation version) and added the correct database connection string to my web.config.

If I then try to browse to my domain I get a 500 server error. After some testing I managed to get the installation to continue by browsing to the /install sub folder. The Welcome step went fine and so did the License step. The Database step required me to give some connection information and then displays the progress bar at 0%. After a second or two it changes to -1% and halts. I have tried to enter the full connection string as well with the same result. Tampering with that connection string to provoke an error by typing the wrong password gives me a clear "Database connection initialisation failed", which is what I would expect, so the username and password should be correct. But why do I get a -1 and halt? And should I really need to browse to /install to begin with? I've done this before on another host and I can't recall that being necessary.

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 23:19
    jaygreasley

Hi,

When you copied the files over did you give the correct security account(network service or the app pool account) the correct permissions?

Jay

Mar 01, 2012 @ 08:49
    Jonas Berling

Unfortunately my hosting supplier does not allow me any control or review of those settings.

Mar 01, 2012 @ 09:16
    Jonas Berling

One interesting thing that I can't really understand:

As I mentioned earlier I can provoke an error by deliberately setting the wrong password for the database connection in the installation process. This should however mean that the application can indeed connect to my DB, shouldn't it? If I type a correct password the installation just halts with no good error message and -1% for progress.

Mar 01, 2012 @ 09:24
    Jonas Berling

Progress but no complete happiness...

I had set the ASP locale to Swedish but when I changed it back to English - United states it worked. Weird though, didn't expect that to cause a problem. Now I get backroom up and running and I can see the different sections and switch between them. I also see the various 'general' dashboard items like "Watch and learn". But I have no sub-items in the left  area. So, under e.g. Settings there are no items in the tree.

I also noticed that the installation sort of passed by the Database-step that I previously had problems with a little bit to quick. Some things are running and some thing are not... Ideas, anyone?

(II marked this post as the solution to quick - the thread is not solved)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft