Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 11:36
    Peter Duncanson

From local copy to live....how?

I installed Umbraco about a month ago and have been playing with it to make a site for a friend as a learning exercise. All has gone well but they now want me to host it. I have a win 2003 box which I intend to put it on but I'm faced with some problems/questions which don't appear to be well answered here on the forums:

* My local copy is running as VistaDB is that ok for live or should I port it to SQL Server

* If I need to port it to SQL Server I've read on the forums of people saying there are tools for generating out the schema and importing the data but no actual details, I've been googling around but can't find much on how to do the port. Does anyone have a step through or some pointers (or just a link would be nice)

* How best to get the site up and running on my win 2003 box. I was under the impression that it was a simple task of FTP'ing up all the files and it should just work. There is mention of "set the right permissions" but no mention of that permissions, for want accounts on what folders?

* Do I really have to run the Web Installer to get Umbraco running? I'm trying that method now as I have access to the server but I'm worried about getting it up and running on a shared host where it will ultimately live.

* How best to continue developing locally and then updating live with updates? Packages get a mention alot but I've let to look into them yet are they the preferred way to go? Can't I just FTP up the required files/folders for now? If so which ones?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 12:00
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Peter,

* VistaDB can be used on live sites (btw, will only be hit rarely, as most of the data is cached and doesn't need extra db hits), but haven't heard about stats or sites that have done it.

* I've done a post a few days ago about that. VistaDB Express comes with a data builder, that can generate scripts for both tables/views and/or data. A package could also be useful, even content nodes can be included in the package.

* Ftp'ing is all it takes... permission needs be granted to app pool identity user, it's that user that needs at least modify rights on the umbraco folders.

* Nope, as you mentioned yourself, ftp'ing will do. Be aware though, much of umbraco issues in the admin site are due to misconfigured permissions due to uploading the files using a dedicated ftp user

* free version = packages, if you can spend some money, umbraco Pro products could be an option. Ftp can be an option as well, it all depends on what files you'd like to update.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft