Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 05, 2012 @ 11:01
    Dan

Umbraco v5 deployment woes

Hi there,

I have recently built a site based on Umbraco v5 RTM with a SQL Server Compact 4.0 database. I seem to be hitting a brick wall in two ways when I go to deploy it.

Whatever I do I get the generic screen "Welcome to Umbraco 5...It looks like Umbraco hasn't installed yet". I cannot for the life of me get:
    - The site migrating to SQL Server Express
    - Deployed to the production web server with either SQL Server Express or SQL Server Compact.

I am editing App_Data\Umbraco\HiveConfig\web.config with the following values

<connectionStrings>
        <add name="nhibernate.ConnString" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress; Initial Catalog=uengco;Integrated Security=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
        <!--<add name="nhibernate.ConnString" connectionString="Data Source=|DataDirectory|Umbraco.sdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" />-->
      </connectionStrings>
      <appSettings />
      <umbraco>
        <persistenceProviderSettings>
          <nhibernate useNhProf="false" connectionStringKey="nhibernate.ConnString" outputNhMappings="false" sessionContext="web" driver="MsSql2008" />
          <!--<nhibernate useNhProf="false" connectionStringKey="nhibernate.ConnString" outputNhMappings="false" sessionContext="web" driver="MsSqlCe4" />-->
        </persistenceProviderSettings>
      </umbraco>   

Any ideas, hints? Thought it might be permissions but my web server worker process has full permission to the data file. Perhaps there are other config settings I am forgetting.

Thanks, Dan

• E.J. Brennan 73 posts 114 karma points
    Mar 06, 2012 @ 18:38
    E.J. Brennan

You have two seperate issues. First is you need to convert your SQLCE db to SQL Express. Here is a step-by-step instructions to do that:

http://www.web-garden.co.uk/blog/2012/2/11/migrating-your-umbraco-5-site-from-sql-ce-to-sql-2008

As far as getting the 'looks like its not installed yet' page, that is usually because the connection string is not correct, at least in my experience.

I had the same problem and I solved it by running the install wizard again, choosing 'let me enter my own connection string' option, and then entered it in. I had to give it a second admin name/password temporarily because it failed with an 'user already exists error'. It seems that if you run the installation wizard, and the database already exists and has data in it, the install doesn't overwrite that data luckily. (but I'd make sure you have a backup just in case!).

After that, it worked fine for me - good luck.

I do not beleive there are any other config files you need to worry about, but here is mine and it works.

• Dan 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:13
    Dan

Thanks, yes in the end I did manage to get it going using the excellent advice from David. Used Redgate SQL Schema Compare to create an update script from a fresh install of Umbraco v5 on SQL Server and pushed this to my migrated DB.

It took me a long time to figure out, because there is never an error message thrown. Only a redirect to the default Umbraco install page. The exception must be trapped deep with the framework.

• Johan 188 posts 380 karma points
    Apr 16, 2012 @ 18:37
    Johan

I had this problem too but my solution was checking my folder permissions again. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft