Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jose Malone 121 posts 58 karma points
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 19:37
    Jose Malone

Unique IP addresses for each site? SSL Certs?

I know Umb doesn't support Virtual Directories, but is it possible to have each hostname have a seperate IP address? And how do you handle SSL certs for each site? The final sites would be installed on Windows 2008 Servers.

Thank you.

Jose

• stewart.whiting 15 posts 44 karma points
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 21:00
    stewart.whiting

I'm just trying to figure out in my head how to make this work. To run multiple SSL certificates you would need to have multiple sites, each with an individual IP address under IIS (you can't share one IP address - SSL sites can't be host headered). You could then setup each site to use the Umbraco installation directory as its site folder. - However, I'm not sure how Umbraco will behave under this 'multiple access' method?

My other thought was to use URL rewriting from the web accessible domains to a single 'master' site that hosts the Umbraco site - however, this I suspect will break the hostnames of Umbraco as it will not know which hostname the incoming request is coming from?

Jul 15, 2009 @ 21:48
    Jose Malone

This is why I feel virtual directory support is really needed. 

Jose

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 23:06
    Paul Sterling

There is no difference in the Umbraco Hostname configuration with or without SSL.  The cert management is handled by IIS.  We have sites with configurations in 2 different manners:

1 - site cert is mapped to a single domain using a unique IP - the corresponding umbraco site then has SSL enabled

2 - server cert is mapped to a unique IP and domains (and sub domains) have the cert available for use (in IIS) - as above the corresponding umbraco sites have SSL enabled

Perhaps I'm missing some nuance in your scenario, but it's never been a complicated issue for us - assuming you have the cert installed and configured properly in IIS.

-Paul

Jul 16, 2009 @ 00:03
    Jose Malone

Paul,

Right now I have 5 different sites hosted on one WS2008 box in seperate virtual directories. Each site is assigned a seperate IP, and each site has an SSL cert. mapped to the hostname and IP address.

I'm confused how I'd accomplish this since Umbraco wants to sit in the root folder. Normally you just pull down what IP you want to assign to the site and assign the hostheaders for the site in the preferences of the site.

Joe

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Jul 16, 2009 @ 00:33
    Jesper Hauge

Hi Paul

I think Jose is wondering if it's possible to use one Umbraco instance to host several websites with different hostnames using the Umbraco hostname feature, AND use different ssl certs for the different sites in the Umbraco instance.

You'll have to test this, but I think it would be possible if you are able to meet one condition:

IIS7 (and IIS6) can only have one SSL cert per ENDPOINT, an endpoint is a IP-address/IP-Port combination, so you'll have to assign multiple IP-addresses to your server OR use different ports for each certificate (the last option isn't very desirable since it requires the user to append the port number to the URL for the site)

So in your IIS7 manager you wil have to add multiple bindings for the with the Umbraco site instance, using a different IP-address for each hostname/SSL cert. It will look something like this:

Protocol: https
    IP-address:192.168.0.1
    Port: 443
    HostName: domain-a.com
    SSL-cert: domain-a.com cert

Protocol: https
    IP-address: 192.168.0.1
    Port:443
    Hostname: domain-b.com
    SSL-cert: domain-b.com

- and so forth.

This should make IIS7 route all https requests to the same Umbraco website, and Umbraco's  build in hostname feature should kick in and take care of the rest.

Regards
    .Hauge

• dillorscroft 198 posts 192 karma points
    Nov 16, 2009 @ 01:25
    dillorscroft

Hi,

This is easy to sort.  Just create new sites (which arent the same as virtual directories ) and point them at the same physical files. 

You can have one physical Umbraco instance with two sites managed in the admin area.  Then create two seperate sites in IIS and point them at the same physcial set of files.   These sites can have different IP Addresses and then SSL certificates.

The only other thing you would have to do and you would need to do this anyway with two seperate sites in Umbraco is to right click on the site and 'Manage Hostnames'  Just to tell Umbraco which site responds to which domain name.

DC

• dillorscroft 198 posts 192 karma points
    Nov 16, 2009 @ 01:29
    dillorscroft

I think I might have grapsed you problem here....

If you put one site in Umbraco in in c:\inetpub\wwwroot then yes you a pretty stuffed about creating further sites below it.

What I do and it's really simple is to put the sites in a different folder,  remove the default website and create a new website (not virtual directory) for each new site. e.g.

www.site1.com -  c:\inetpub\wwwroot\www.site1.com

www.site2.com - c:\inetpub\wwwroot\www.site2.com

It really is as easy as this and you can assign the same IP's to each site and use host headers or unique ones and then you can use ssl.

Hope this helps.

DC

• Phillip Turner 98 posts 412 karma points
    Feb 24, 2014 @ 15:41
    Phillip Turner

Okay... I hate to bring a dead thread to life... but,

I am very interested in this.  I have the same scenario going on and wondered if anyone has tested the theroies above.

I will have multiple sites running in 1 Umbraco instance and each site will require an SSL.

Thanks

Phillip

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft