Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim McCabe 5 posts 21 karma points
    Jul 15, 2009 @ 23:54
    Tim McCabe

New Install - Asking for Username and Password

I just downloaded the "Source for 4.0.2.1" on my Windows XP machine running IE8, gave "Network Service" Full Control over all the directories involved, and when I try to debug in VS2008 (.NET 3.5) I am not taken to the wizard screen, but rather to the login screen. I don't think that's what is supposed to happen.

If it is, what is the default login I'm supposed to use?

If this is not what's supposed to happen, what did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

I've never used this before and would love to give it a try...

Many, many thanks!

• Nico Lubbers 151 posts 175 karma points
    Jul 16, 2009 @ 00:21
    Nico Lubbers

Hmm, when you are using Umbraco the first time, I would recommend to start off by compiling the sourcecode.

I would recommend to use the "Application" download on top of the list in the download-section of http://umbraco.codeplex.com

That way you only need to create an empty database on a sql server, or you might even choose to use anorther database like mysql or the intergrated vistadb.

If you unzip everything to a folder and set IIS to use localhost for that folder than you should see the install wizard.

• Nico Lubbers 151 posts 175 karma points
    Jul 16, 2009 @ 00:23
    Nico Lubbers

EDIT: in the first line of my reply I mean "I would not recommend to start off by compiling the sourcecode"

• SaphuA 124 posts 87 karma points
    Jul 16, 2009 @ 00:25
    SaphuA

One thing I noticed before is that it automaticly shows a log-in screen when you browse to something like: domain.com/umbraco/umbraco.aspx

(not 100% sure if the url above is correct)

You should, however, browse to the 'root' so the installer will start: domain.com/

Another thing you might want to do is check your config file; compare it with other downloads on codeplex.

Jul 16, 2009 @ 16:13
    Tim McCabe

It doesn't matter what page I try to navigate to, it always shows the login for me no matter what I do. I'll try the application download instead and I'll check the config files as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jul 16, 2009 @ 16:41
    Warren Buckley

I would NOT recommend you to use the source version of Umbraco there is no need to really. Download the compilied version from codePlex or use the Microsoft Web Platform Installer.

Jul 16, 2009 @ 18:09
    Tim McCabe

What if I want to add functionality or remove functionality or change functionality -- make it my own, in other words? Don't I need to be able to alter the source code for that?

Jul 16, 2009 @ 20:12
    Tim McCabe

It was the web.config file. Thanks, SaphuA.

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Jul 16, 2009 @ 21:46
    Peter Dijksterhuis

I would suggest not to make changes to the source-code of umbraco itself. If you do, you are making it hard for you to perform any future upgrades of umbraco.

The best way to work is to extend umbraco rather than modifying the core. Could you give examples of what you would want to add or remove?

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 09:43
    Warren Buckley

I agree with Peter you can extend and modify Umbraco easily without touching the source code !

Jul 17, 2009 @ 15:39
    Tim McCabe

I'm not familiar enough with it yet to have any idea what I would like to change. Having worked with other CMS apps, there always seems to be something to change. For example, using a different WYSIWYG editor instead of the default one (I've been asked to replace those before), or fixing mission critical bugs (that only seem to affect our website) long before the next release comes out, or developing a more robust security / permissions system, etc.

If we aren't supposed to use the source code, why would they make it available for download?

I did have to make some changes to the source code already, just to get it to compile. I thought that was odd. The projects reference some classes in .NET 3.5 but the projects themselves are all .NET 2.0, and so, I guess, they couldn't use some of the classes they were referencing. I had particular difficulties with System.Web.Extensions. Additionally, in Document.cs in businesslogic/web, the app didn't know what namespace "Action.RunActionHandlers" belonged to.

I think I've worked through all those things, but I'm still having some issues. If I get to a point I can't get past I'll come back for more help.

I really appreciate all your advice thus far. Thanks, guys!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 19:17
    Sebastiaan Janssen

The source code is available so that you can contribute to the project, that's what open source is all about.

However, Umbraco for the end-user (you being a developer, you're still an end-user) has always been made with extensibility in mind. So if you want to change the html editor, you can write your own and plug it into Umbraco without even having to touch the source code.

I would definately suggest you try to start with Umbraco without changing any source code, find out how you can change thing programmatically using the API, there's a lot of documentation available on here. When in doubt, just ask!

I've not done a lot of backoffice work yet, but looking at other projects it seems that it absolutely possible to build complex new functionality into the backoffice without having to touch a line of the Umbraco source code.

• Colin 4 posts 24 karma points
    Oct 13, 2010 @ 04:58
    Colin

I'm having the same problem but I'm not sure what to check in the web.config file in order to get it to run properly...

Looking for advice and completely NEW to Umbraco.

Thanks...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft