Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carl Willems 5 posts 25 karma points
    Mar 14, 2012 @ 07:58
    Carl Willems

Installation stops after umbraco wizzard starts

Hi All,

This is the first time I try to install Umbraco

I 've now been busy for three evenings to install Umbraco and am about to throw the towel... I tried downloading from http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases, but wasn't able to complete installation. I downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/web/umbraco/, no result either: could edit in Webmatrix, but wasn't able to open the Umbraco interface. Finally found instructions on http://cultiv.nl/blog/2011/7/18/how-to-install-umbraco-manually/ and there, I get successfully to point 9. As of point 10 however, I don't get the fancy orange interface as in the tutorial, but just a white background with text, no buttons but blue underlined text links. Clicking on them doesn't get me any further. I looked in the web.config for "strange" things, did try to open in Visual Studio 2010 to see extra debug info, but the thing won't even compile. I'm using a SQL server that I newly downloaded, the most recent version IIS, Windows 7, Umbraco 5... no idea what I'm doing wrong. All help is appreciated

best regards,

Carl

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Mar 14, 2012 @ 08:53
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Carl,

Sad to here it really takes you three evenings to get umbraco up and running. Can you tell the exact steps you've taken to install umbraco. It could be permission issue... Let us know what you've done and we'll try to help as much as possible.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Mar 14, 2012 @ 09:05
    Carl Willems

Hi Dirk,

will do that this evening, now at work without access to the files

Carl

Mar 14, 2012 @ 20:28
    Carl Willems

Hi Dirk/All,

I have made a document explaining what I did. you can find it on my dropbox link here

I hope this link works and that I didn't break any forum policy rules by sharing the file this way

regards, groetjes,

Carl

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Mar 14, 2012 @ 21:04
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Carl,

Most probablya permission issue. Can you check the app pool identity owner (you've selected the default .net v4 app pool when creating the site in iis) and give that user full control on the umbraco root folder?

If I'm in dev mode, I tend to create a separate app pool for each of my sites, and select 'network service' as the app pool identity. And because all my sites go into c:\inetpub, I've given the 'network service' user full control on that folder.

Anyway, the interface for your installation seems to not have loaded the css it needs, that's way it looks pretty ugly.

Hope this helps and good luck with the installation. Do let us know if that worked out ok for you.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Mar 15, 2012 @ 18:32
    Carl Willems

Hi Dirk,

That did it ! I had given the authorities to IIS_IUSRS but there appears to be a profile IUSR as well. Giving that the authority made me able to open the interface. Now I'm fighting the SQLserver logon: SQLserver won't let me log on... I'll first look in the appropriate forums for SQLServer first before bugging you again ;)

thanks for the help !

Carl

Mar 15, 2012 @ 19:15
    Carl Willems

Hi Dirk,

I am in business!!! The SQLserver issue was a firewall problem, (port 1433), the fact that sqlserver 2008 by default doesn't allow remote connections, TCP is disabled and I had configured the logon for windows authentication only: this must be mixed authentication.

Honestly: I tried installing Drupal and Joomla! earlier using MySQL. This was easier but I never was very impressed by the flexibility of these systems. So I have my hopes up high for Umbraco !

Best regards, and thanks again for the help

Carl

• Billy Koch 12 posts 33 karma points
    Mar 15, 2012 @ 21:25
    Billy Koch

Dont give up on Umbraco - it is a great CMS once you get the hang of it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft