Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dani 18 posts 38 karma points
    Mar 15, 2012 @ 00:58
    Dani

Default username and password

I just installed and umbraco 5 and when i try to enter to administration web page i don't know the user and password.

• wolulcmit 357 posts 693 karma points
    Mar 15, 2012 @ 01:09
    wolulcmit

One installed, the default username and password for the backoffice is "admin" and "test" but you can change and edit this in the User section once you're in.

from here:http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2011/9/28/umbraco-5-alpha-2-is-out-today.aspx

• Antonio 4 posts 24 karma points
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 15:40
    Antonio

Hello, i do have the same issue:

I downloaded and unzipped 20120321-1448-Umbraco501WebApp.zip in my IIS express wwwroot directory.

Umbraco works and i can install it using the SQL compact database.

Once the install finishes, it directs me to the login page

Using admin and test, as recommended above, don't seems to work. What am i doing wrong?

PS: this is the very first time that i try to use umbraco, so it probably is something stupid...

thanks

• Grant Thomas 291 posts 324 karma points
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 15:42
    Grant Thomas

I'm pretty sure that Umbraco v5 actually asks you for your user name and password to create an initial administrator account as part of the set up process.

Mar 22, 2012 @ 15:51
    Antonio

I reinstalled it a couple of times. will do it again, but no, no password was asked.

would you know where i can read this password? in the forum it is mentioned it is clear (not coded), but where is it? i do have a file called app_data\Umbraco.sdf, but inside there no table called users or anything similar, and no reference to something called admin in any of the tables.

so, does anybody know where is this password stored?

is it possible i do have an issue with permissions of any kind?

Mar 22, 2012 @ 15:55
    Grant Thomas

If the password isn't securely encrypted then, amazingly, I'd be amazed. That'd be crazy.

Mar 22, 2012 @ 16:01
    Antonio

this is in my web.config.....

<membership defaultProvider="BackOfficeMembershipProvider">
          <providers>
            <clear/>
            <add name="BackOfficeMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Cms.Web.Security.BackOfficeMembershipProvider" passwordFormat="Clear" />
          </providers>
        </membership>

so you can start to be amazed....

Mar 22, 2012 @ 17:23
    Grant Thomas

I don't have a v5 instance here at work, but I'm working on a v4.7.1.1 instance and that uses a hashed password (as specified in the web.config, and upon observation in the database). Checking a previous v4.5.2 instance also shows it to use a hashed password. 

I do have an uninstalled v5 here though, and looking in the web.config I can confirm it is the same as yours; I will have to check an instance at home to verify that between the configuration and the database. But, yes, at face value it would seem to be clear - and I literally am amazed that anyone would think this was appropriate, hopefully it was something just overlooked in the deployment of the release and can be corrected.

On the other hand, that does mean you should be able to read the password should you be able to find it. I don't know the format of *.sdf db files, but if you have SQL Management Studio installed then you can do 'Connect'->'SQL Server Compact...'->Browse for the file, and then hopefully have success in finding the password in the 'umbracoUser' table.

• Nigel Brown 16 posts 36 karma points
    Mar 29, 2012 @ 19:04
    Nigel Brown

Hello, I have the same issue as well with version 5.0.1.. I have tried to install a number of times, but once it gets to the database stage the install completes and you don't get the option to key in a password. admin/test does not work.

I have tried to open the umbraco.sdf file but this appears to be not valid or an non supported version. (I am using SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Studio).  But I dont have SQL 2008 installed on the host I want to put U5 onto..  I did have a version 5 installation ok, I had to remove it and tried a fresh re-install.. as non of the admin screens would work, due to script errors.

I also tried to install ver 5.0 RTM via the WebMatrix but this didn't even get as far as the database.

any thoughts..? thanks

Mar 29, 2012 @ 22:23
    Grant Thomas

Nigel, if you can't open the *.sdf file then I'm not sure what to suggest at the moment - however, when you do...

Antonio, the user names and passwords aren't stored anywhere obvious: check the 'AttributeStringValue' table, the first few records should contain the user related information that would allow you to log in. Even if it's not the very top records in the table (for whatever reason), this table should be rather small anyway so just give it a quick scan.

Let us know how you get on.

Mar 30, 2012 @ 02:29
    Antonio

Hello,

I can open the database, but did not find anything useful in it. i did read of that umbracoUser table, but never found it inside the database file.

I do program ASP.NET pretty well and I was considering a CMS just because it could make my development time shorter. Getting stuck with not documented features or bugs (absence of a users table, passwords not working, etc) is not what i usually call shortening a delivery time.

After spending almost a day on umbraco i just gave up (i was imagining myself getting stuck somewhere else, even if i did manage to fix that specific issue).

I downloaded KOOBOO and my website was up and running in about 30 mins on the host. I must say I am pretty amazed by the simplicity of this KOOBOO thing (i did not read any documents and was creating page templates straight away).

If umbraco sorts its issues, i may try it again in the future. The first experience has been a bit of a waste of time, though. I want to use a CMS to set up websites quickly. If I need to read forums and documents for 2 days before starting, I may very well write the website myself. I would expect the software to ask me the password or at least to explictly tell it to me clearly when i install it. The entire idea of having to resort to forums to find out the password looked a bit 'unpractical'.

• srini 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 16, 2012 @ 11:43
    srini

Hi,              

Faced this problem,During Installation, once it gets to the database stage the install completes and you don't get the option create user, but works fine if i installed it again. Thanks Follow these steps:-

While extracting 20120321-1448-Umbraco501WebApp.zip you check whether properties for that zip file to be properly "UnBlocked" shown in the General Tab and  Click "Ok".

Installing steps:

1. Open the extracted "20120321-1448-Umbraco501WebApp folder" as a website using Microsoft Web Matrix and after Click "Run"

2. The server localhost loads to "Introduction page"  and click "Install Umbraco 5.0.1".

3. Then Click "Let's Get Started".

4. For Database Configuration, if you are choosing SQL Server 2008 R2 or choose your database type, Create one sample database and create a login authentication for it and configure here or if u don't have database for now, then just choose SQL CE 4(Compact Edition) and then Click "Install".

5.  Database configured Successfully.

6. Now "Create User" page will shows up and create a normal user for you as an administrator

and finally If u need starter kit or you can skip installing it and Finally "You're Done".!

Now Login as the User Created Credentials with Username and Password as Created a user just before.

This would do...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft