Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hardy Wang 91 posts 112 karma points
    Mar 16, 2012 @ 21:25
    Hardy Wang

4.7.1.1 "Database Connection Initialisation Failed" on Win2008 R2

I followed following steps on our Win2008 R2 server:

• Created a DB for Umbraco, created an account as DBO of the DB.
    • Launched Web Platform Installer, selected Umbraco CMS
    • Step 1, choose SQL Server, remote server.
    • Step 2, choose the IIS site, port, etc...
    • All dependecies were installed correctly.
    • WebPI reported failure because the given SQL user acount has no permission to create a new DB, this is expected.
    • Run the permission script from  http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/set-umbraco-folder-permissions-from-command-line icacls app_code /grant "IIS_IUSRS":(OI)(CI)RX...... and all other lines
    • From the browser on my PC I typed in the IP address of my server, http://10.10.0.10
    • I was redirectly to install folder.
    • Accepted permisions and saw the DB name/username/password I have typed in WebPI GUI.
    • Clicked next.
    • And "Database Connection Initialisation Failed" is the last thing I have seen.
    • With the search http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/29896 the error message actually means permission issue. I checked properties -> security of web.config, I can see IIS_IUSRS has been granted read/write to the file.
    Please let me know what I did wrong?

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Mar 16, 2012 @ 21:36
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. I would recommend to test a connection from your IIS host server to the SQL Server with some tool like sqlcmd or SSMS. There could be a lot of reasons for the connection to fail. E.g. disabled protocol, firewall, disabled SQL Server Browser service, etc. Could you describe your configuration in a bit more details? Are your SQL Server and IIS on the different hosts, is your SQL Server instance named, etc?

Mar 16, 2012 @ 21:44
    Hardy Wang

I have some other APPS on the same web, it connects to same SQL Server without problem.

Mar 16, 2012 @ 22:07
    Hardy Wang

Another attempt from me is that, I have a local installation working agains that SQL Server without problem. I manually copied everything to Win2008 R2 web server, deployed to same IIS site, ran the permission scripts. And now it worked!!

I think the difference is that Umbraco installation needs to modify web.config, my local copy has web.config changed already.

I feel somwhow /install/ failed to make change to web.config. After I manually setup the site I was able to publish and make change to App_Data\umbraco.config file. But in both cases I ran the same permission script, which means web.config and App_Data\umbraco.config should have same NTFS permission. Why /install/ cannot modify web.config but my backoffice publish function can modify App_Data\umbraco.config?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft