Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Christian Rieß 24 posts 46 karma points
    Mar 19, 2012 @ 13:26
    Christian Rieß

Heavy CPU performance problems after migrating server

We recently moved the website of one of our customers to a new server. The site was at first running perfectly fine, but after a while, the w3wp process related to the website started using 50% to 70% of the CPU power permanently.

I tried to delete some temporary indexing files in App_Data\Temp. I stopped the server, deleted the files and then restarted the server. The CPU usage was down to normal levels again (here and there a peak of 10%). But after 15 minutes it started again to eat up 50-70% CPU power.

I am completely stumped at what the problem could be. Do You have any ideas?

Mar 19, 2012 @ 13:31
    Christian Rieß

Some Information on the hardware:

The RAM usage is quite low, around 250MB for the w3wp.

The server is running with two quadcore cpus, Intel Xeon X5672 with 3.2 GHz, 16MB of Ram, Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Mar 19, 2012 @ 15:35
    Christian Rieß

Seems like the problem was fixed at last. The website tried to create a new index for its nodes. It also tried to create an index for the recycle bin contents, which was stuffed with 75000+ nodes. I don't blame the server for going haywire anymore...

We fixed the problem by deleting the recycle bin contents with an SQL query.

Mar 22, 2012 @ 13:16
    Christian Rieß

Ok, the problem was not fixed, only temporarily delayed. The cpu performance stays low for a time (15 minutes to several hours) only to rise again to its permanent level of 50%-70%. This happens every time you reset the IIS, no matter what reason. This is most puzzeling...

I already checked the folder permissions for the website and I checked the machine.config on both the new and the old server for differences, but found none.

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Mar 27, 2012 @ 13:14
    Tim

What version of Umbraco are you running? There are a couple of older versions that had memory leaks (which were fixed in newer versions), but if it worked fine on the old server, that might not be the issue.

Another option would be to download a trial of a memory profiler for IIS (JetBrains make a good one, there's a few others out there too). You could run that on the site and see where the bottlenecks are? That might give you an idea of what's going on.

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Aug 15, 2012 @ 01:26
    Connie DeCinko

We are getting 90% to 100% CPU utilization on our site.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft