Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7103 karma points c-trib
    Mar 19, 2012 @ 17:55
    Nicholas Westby

Installing Umbraco 5 on Windows Azure (NhDependencyHelper Error)

I'm trying to install Umbraco 5 on Windows Azure, but it seems Umbraco 5 isn't quite ready for prime time yet.

After scouring the internet for instructions, I came across http://umbracoonazure.codeplex.com/, which has instructions and files to use to install Umbraco 5 on Azure. I followed those instructions pretty closesly, but made a few modifications (I'll try some more variations tonight), and I ran into an error during the setup process. After entering the connection string to my Azure SQL database, I got this error:

NhDependencyHelper is null and DependencyHelper is NullProviderDependencyHelper with key nhibernate

It says to check the Umbraco log for full details... where would I find that log?

Note that I have read http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/28851-Umbraco-5-Azure and http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/umbraco-5-general-discussion/28375-NhDependencyHelper-is-null-and-DependencyHelper-is-NullProviderDependencyHelper-with-key-nhibernate, but they didn't engender much elucidation.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7103 karma points c-trib
    Mar 28, 2012 @ 08:45
    Nicholas Westby

Nevermind, I got it working. For anybody interested, here's what I did...

I ignored all the instructions from umbracoonazure.codeplex.com. I downloaded the Umbraco 5.0.1 CMS Web Application from umbraco.codeplex.com. I created a new MVC 3 project in Visual Studio and incorporated all the files from Umbraco 5.0.1. I set that project to run in IIS Express (rather than the built-in Cassini web server). I ran that project and went through the installer so I could point it to my production database on Azure. Once the install was complete, I created a template, doc type, and a homepage node using the aforementioned 2 items. Then I deleted the "Install" stuff from the project (don't want anybody overwriting my install configuration!). I also used WinMerge to compare the changed files to the original files for the Umbraco 5.0.1 CMS Web Application. I made sure to include any of the new files in the project (except the ClientDependency folder... those files didn't seem necessary, from what I read).

Next, I closed and then re-opened Visual Studio 2010 with admin rights (necessary on Vista) and created an Azure cloud project from my MVC 3 project. I then tested the MVC project in the Azure emulator and everything appeared to work fine, so I packed the project and uploaded it to a staging instance in Azure. Everything looked fine there too, so I swapped my production and my staging environment (so my Umbraco 5.0.1 deployment became my production environment) and that seems to be working.

While everything seems to be running fine, there are some caveats. For one, any template changes, if they even work, would not sync between the various compute instances. However, that is not an issue for me. I plan on just making all my changes locally in source control and then deploying new instances. I am guessing creating content nodes should work fine, since that is all stored in the database (rather than on the file system). We shall see how it turns out in the long run, but for now this seems to be working for me.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft