Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 12:46
    Tom Maton

Using Umbraco for 1300+ pages

Hi All,

Firstly I am not sure if this is the correct place so if it needs to be moved to the correct place then please do.

Anyway to my question.

We are putting together a documentation for a client who has at present over 1300 pages, which I cant see a problem with Umbraco running but I am not 100% sure about the admin end. Would this section cope with loading over 1300+ pages?

Also is there any scalability issues we need to be aware of for such a large site?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Tom

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 13:42
    Dirk De Grave

HI Tom,

As for a a pre v4.1 version, I'd suggest to think about the site structure up front, as it would become a nightmare to list 1300 pages in a single folder. I'm quite sure you've already thought of that, but keep that in mind. I don't have figures on how many pages should be at a same level, and I'm not aware of any. A later version 4.1 will scale much better in this regard.

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 15:52
    Tom Maton

Hi Dirk,

The first thing we are going to be doing is restructuring of the IA anyway so that it is more manageable and easy to navigate through.

We will be using the latest version of Umbraco so hearing the latest version will scale better is good to hear.

Thanks

Tom

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 18:32
    Douglas Robar

First, no problem with 1300 pages in an umbraco site. I recently finished one with more than 7000 and it was just fine, and I know there are sites with many, many more pages. Performance-wise, no worries.

But, as Dirk mentioned, you do want to think about how you structure your site's content. What you'll find is that hundreds of pages to be expanded in the treeview of the Content section of umbraco will get slow as you have more and more nodes to expand at one time. Umbraco 4.1 will be much better in this regard. But even in earlier versions of umbraco this isn't as bad as it might sound. The reason is that it's almost cruel to users to put hundreds of pages in a single section of your site... users will have a hard time finding the page they want to edit it! Usability and treeview performance go hand-in-hand here, both suggest you keep the number of pages in a given section/folder of your site to a managable count.

Having said all this, umbraco will certainly work with a couple hundred pages in one folder/section (I've done it in v3 and in v4), it's just not fast nor is friendly for your content editors.

cheers,
    doug.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft