Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeff Donkersgoed 6 posts 36 karma points
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 15:26
    Jeff Donkersgoed

Creating a new site in IIS

This is probably a simple question to most, so hopefully I'm just missing something easy!

My understanding is that Umbraco needs to be installed in its own root, and not as a virtual directory.  We have a number of existing (.net, not Umbraco) sites that of course we want to keep functional.  They are set up to use the standard port 80 under Default Web Site in IIS (on our own web server using Windows SBS 2011).  We've got a number of different domains attached to our static IP, so I just have the default document to be an html file that does redirects using javascript.  Each site exists as a virtual application under Default Web Site.

<script language="JavaScript">
            var dns1 = "ifosprogram.com"
            var dns2 = "ikosprogram.com"
            var urlloc = location.href
            var loc = urlloc.toLowerCase()

if (loc.indexOf(dns1) != -1)
            {
                location.href="http://www.ifosprogram.com/IFOS/default.aspx";
            }
            else if (loc.indexOf(dns2) != -1)
            {
                location.href="http://www.ikosprogram.com/IKOS/default.aspx";
            }
            else
            {
                location.href="http://www.nutrasource.ca/Nutrasource/Home.aspx";
            }
        </script>

When you create a new site in order to use Umbraco, you are forced to use a different port number (say 81) because port 80 is already used.  Is there a nice way to reference that new site without having to add the :81 to the domain name (ie. www.litesting.com rather than www.litesting.com:81)?

Hopefully, this is just a newb-type question that has an easy answer! :)

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 16:50
    Tim

You should be able to have all of the sites running on port 80, as long as each one has a unique domain (or subdomain) pointing at it. You have three domains, so each one can be a separate site. In the bindings setting for each site, set each one to use the domain name on port 80 and you should be good.

The way that you have it set up is the way that I'd have done it on older versions of XP, where IIS was limited to one site per machine. On any of the server OS's, you can have multiple sites, so it makes more sense to have each site on a separate site. That way the sites are kept separate and they're all running in isolation (so if one site explodes, it shouldn't bring any of the others down).

Hope that helps!

• Jeff Donkersgoed 6 posts 36 karma points
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 18:05
    Jeff Donkersgoed

That's great!  I didn't realize that putting the domain name in the bindings gets you around that port number restriction.  Thanks!  I wish I knew that before because then I wouldn't have had to repeat the domain name inside the virtual directory.  Oh well! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft