Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• lau 8 posts 28 karma points
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 12:15
    lau

How URLs are created? Can they be changed once created?

Hi, once you add a new page to Umbraco, how do you control the url? does it come from the title?

Is its already created, can it be changed for another one?

Many thanks in advance!

• Grant Thomas 291 posts 324 karma points
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 13:46
    Grant Thomas

Please state the version of your Umbraco instance.

Other than that, it depends, for versions around 4.5.2 (or something) it is derived from the name of your node. In versions ~5.0 (maybe 4.7.1.1 onwards) it will do this by default too, but you can manually change it. It will change upon republishing.

Mar 22, 2012 @ 14:44
    lau

Hmmm... Im trying to get the version. In the meantime, would you be so kind to guide me on how to change them manually?

Many thanks in advance!

Mar 22, 2012 @ 14:48
    Grant Thomas

You can get your version by logging in to the backend and clicking the 'About' button in the top right corner - this will give a pop-up with your version number.

As for changing it, if you were using a version that supported doing that manually then you should find on the 'General Properties' tab of the document a 'Url Name' field - change that as desired and the URL will be constructed accordingly. If you're not using a version that allows changing of this in a custom manner, then you won't see the previously mentioned option and will need to change the 'Name' (this is still in the 'General Properties' tab of the page) of the document, as the URL will be constructed from that (tranformed in a URL-friendly way).

Mar 22, 2012 @ 15:49
    lau

ooooohh!! You are such a star!

The version is v 4.7.1.1, do you think this supports the manual modification of urls? It does not seem so to me...

Mar 22, 2012 @ 15:57
    Grant Thomas

No, I just checked and in 4.7.1.1 you will need to rename the node, using the 'Name' field in 'Properties' and republish.

Mar 22, 2012 @ 16:25
    lau

Thankx! I will try.

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 20:00
    Rodion Novoselov

In 4.X you can also make use of some standard "umbraco*" document properties that control document urls:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-best-practices/umbracourlname

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-best-practices/umbracourlalias

Mar 22, 2012 @ 20:03
    Grant Thomas

Excellent point, Rodion. I've never needed those as it happens, and hadn't come across them in my ventures thus far - very useful, thanks.

Mar 22, 2012 @ 20:46
    lau

Wow, you are a great bunch here! Thank you all.

I finally used the option given by Grant Thomas and it worked perfectly, but yes indeed changed both the url and the node.

I have not really understood 100% your advice Rodion ;-( will try to speed up in my Umbraco this weekend.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft