Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Philip Nawrocki 7 posts 20 karma points
    Jul 17, 2009 @ 23:14
    Philip Nawrocki

Database Configuration on install

Hello, I am very new to Umbraco and am trying to install it. I have followed the directions here:

http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-4-on-localhost---simplified/run-umbraco%E2%80%99s-web-based-installer

I didnt install the folder in the root, but created a new site and mapped the directory that is here: c:/Inetpub/umbraco4 on my server.

I am on my localhost and make it to Step 2 in the installation. I am on Database Configuration. I put all my info in and I receive this message:

"Could not save the web.config file. Please modify the connection string manually. Access to the path 'C:\Inetpub\umbraco4\web.config' is denied."

I actually edited the web.config file and saved it and tried to confirm the settings and continue to receive the same error message. I have looked at file/folder permissions and everything I can possibly think of.

I could not find another article on this and have been searching all over the umbraco reference.

Does anyone out there have any ideas? They would be greatly appreciated.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jul 18, 2009 @ 01:04
    Aaron Powell

You need to make sure that Network Service and/ or ASPNET (depending on if you're XP, Vista, Server 2k3, etc) have write access to the web.config file (I believe that's the right users).

I'm naughty on localhost and I just give Full Access to the Everyone group :P

Jul 21, 2009 @ 14:55
    Philip Nawrocki

I will try that out. Thanks for the reply.

Jul 21, 2009 @ 16:34
    Philip Nawrocki

Thanks Slace. That was the fix.

For others with this issue here is what I did:

1. In IIS manager I right clicked my site and chose permissions. I clicked "Add" under group or usernames

2. I had to change my location to my local machine. That is why I couldnt see Network Service or ASP.NET Machine Name before. I am running multiple sites on my server. I added those users.

3. I highlighted Network Service and ASP.NET Machine Name users and gave them Modify access.

4. I went back to the installer and was able to complete my Database Configuration.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft