Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nathan Purcell 5 posts 25 karma points
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 10:09
    Nathan Purcell

Migrating Umbraco installation - back office problem.

Hi guys,

I really hope you can help me with this as it's been driving me crazy for 2 days.

I started building an Umbraco website a couple of weeks ago on a local installation using Web Matrix - this worked fine. I then decided to migrate it to a development server to work on a subdomain so my client could see it and make comments as required.

I copied all the files over, added the instance of the subdomain in IIS through the control panel I have on the server and sure enough, becasue I used used the local database option, everything on the front end seems to be working fine immediately.

However, when I go to the back office login page (and beyond), there appears to be a huge problem with the file system. See below for a screen shot of the back office after a successful login:

I can only assume that somewhere along the line Umbraco has set a fixed path for my local installation and is now struggling to reference it. I had a look at the web.config file but couldn't see anything obvious.

I am running Umbraco  v 4.7.1.1. I've just moved it to a dedicated Windows 2008 server with IIS 7. I wondered if this could be a permissions issue, but then surely the whole directory would be unreadable...?

Or perhaps (last minute thought), because I was working locally, the address I went to was obviously localhost - perhaps Umbraco doesn't like having to now reference a domain name as its root? I'm sure there is a quick setting change for this or I just need to add a '/' somewhere.

Thanks for you time :)

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 15:12
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Nathan,

I believe this is a file-permissions issue for the ClientDependency module.  Double-check that the appropriate permissions are set for the App_Data/TEMP folders (and sub-folders).  (I had this a while back and found I had to set the permissions for the IIS_IUSRS group.)

Failing that, try deleting the contents of the ClientDependency folder (which would contain files from your local/dev set-up) ... "App_Data/TEMP/ClientDependency"

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Cheers, Lee

• Nathan Purcell 5 posts 25 karma points
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 18:14
    Nathan Purcell

Hi Lee,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm afraid that didn't work. I've been crawling the forum all day and I've found a couple of posts that suggested the same/similar things.

I've set the permissions for the root of the subdomain so that IIS_IUSRS has full control over everything just as a fail safe, but it's still not working. I know this isn't ideal, but the way permissions are set up with Plesk make no sense to me!

I also delete the entire ClientDependency folder in both TEMP and the directory above.......nothing still.

Interestingly, I found somewhere on another thread that changing the <compilation debug="true" > instead of "false" sort of fixes the problem. Thing is, I have no idea what this line does so I'm not really sure whether it's best to have this on true or false. Especially as it seemed to work fine on the local machine.

One more thing while you're here Lee, are you (or anyone else) aware of any issues with installing Umbraco 5 from the codeplex repository? I've been trying to setup a new site successfully all day using both the codeplex source code and the Web PI. It's just not working!

Thanks again

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft