Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bruce Williams 11 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 08, 2012 @ 11:27
    Bruce Williams

New installation problems

Guys,

I tried installing Umbraco a variety of ways without too much success.

I tried adding Web platform to Server 2008 and then Webmatrix and selected Umbraco - Webmatrix places website where it wants to and getting iis7 to play with Umbraco proved a bit of a problem - followed http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/v501/getting -started/Installing-Umbraco-Manual a great article but the directory needed to be enabled to avoid error on webpage - I get the folders listed on the website the Umbraco wizard failed to show.

I tried Webmatrix with a friendly template - it worked and on the same host I uploaded the Business website from Umbraco but the website revealed sql problems. I saw others who have had the same problem last year http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/30190?FocusElement=CommentTextBox

I figure change to a different template tried ucommerce which via Webmatrix listed the folders as present but no front end web page.

The Webmatrix solution looks good but it fails Umbraco in so many ways. I looked at setting up a bookshop website so ucommerce is the pathway.

Any tips?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Apr 08, 2012 @ 16:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bruce - welcome to the community :)

What version of Umbraco are you trying to install? Initially I thought it was v5 but then you mentioned the business website starter kit, which is v4. So now I'm not sure what version you're going at?

Anyway...the fastest way to get up and running is in my experience to install Umbraco using webmatrix, since webmatrix also adds any needed dependencies like .NET framework, MVC etc.

It installs the website in the /documents/my website folder....when the installation has finished (make a clean installation, no starter kits) and you have run the site using webmatrix to finnish the installation you should be able to copy to whichever place on your disk you would like and then create an IIS site to point at it, set up the hostnames and make sure that the iis_iusrs group has suffifient permissions.

If this keeps failing could you then please post some of the error messages that you see?

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Apr 09, 2012 @ 01:47
    Bruce Williams

Jan,

Thanks for the welcome abord. The version is v5 with the umbraco installed via webmatrix (a package manager which I like) web gallery.  You then get the umbraco wizard v4.7.1.1 and at step 5 you have the choice of business starter kit.  I installed this with one of the themes (man with hamburger) local host ok then I publish to discountasp host site. All goes well then webmatrix tells me that the host website is ready. First time I did this I received server error in "/" application. I retried it from the start following your reply and it worked.

-http://user616.webmatrix2.discountasp.net/  Success

From what you have said is that Webmatrix uses different version of packages. With ucommerce does it obey Webmatrix and gets installed via folder?

The iis pathway - I copied the files across but thought that the iis must have a webdeploy mechanism to interface with Webmatrix. So webmatrix will deploy to standard webserver using iis the same as the hosts.

I teach IT students so a smooth path is always great. This is the first time we have played with Webmatrix and Umbraco.  They are Dreamweaver/Wordpress trained so my objective is to quickly deploy any CMS via Webmatrix.

Bruce

About WebMatrix
    ---------------------------
    Version 1

WebMatrix: 7.1.1073.1
    IIS 7.5 Express: 7.1.1070.1
    ASP.NET Web Pages: 1.0.20105.407
    SQL Server Compact: 4.0.8482.1
    Web Platform Installer: 7.1.1070.1
    Web Deploy: 7.1.1070.1
    .NET Framework: 4.0.30319.261 (RTMGDR.030319-2600)

DownloadManager Information: 0 : Adding product 'Umbraco' to the cart
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Starting install sequence
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Using cached file at C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\installers\Umbraco\7781b926779b22fc5150b15f4330adf9d739b4d9\Umbraco_4.7.1.1_WebDeploy_NET_4.0.zip instead of downloading from http://umbraco.codeplex.com/Project/Download/FileDownload.aspx?DownloadId=327115
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Setting DeploymentBaseOptions.WebServerDirectory: C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Setting DeploymentBaseOptions.ConfigurationDirectory: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\IISExpress\config
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Setting DeploymentBaseOptions.WebServerDirectory: C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Setting DeploymentBaseOptions.ConfigurationDirectory: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\IISExpress\config
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Removing parameter: Database Server
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Removing parameter: Database Name
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Removing parameter: Database Username
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Removing parameter: Database Password
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Removing parameter: Database Administrator
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Removing parameter: Database Administrator Password
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Removing parameter: Connection String
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Removing parameter: Connection String for Config
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Issuing skip directive: objectName=DBFullSql
    DownloadManager Information: 0 : Umbraco CMS installation log: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\logs\install\2012-04-09T09.18.13\Umbraco CMS.txt

Apr 09, 2012 @ 02:01
    Bruce Williams

Jan,

I forgot to mention Umbraco is the best database driven CMS and my students are working on their solution for a bookshop website. 

I have also found there is a Webdeploy UI in IIS Manager which I haven't tried yet.  I like Umbraco and Webmatrix architecture but what was most useful was your response confirming Webmatrix as a tool of choice.  Often other users say, forget the ease of use tools go direct and use these workarounds. Not good when teaching others their first steps.

Thanks,

Bruce

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    May 18, 2012 @ 18:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bruce

Sorry for my late reply - happy to see you managed to get it going :)

I can understand that system admins etc want to know what is going on under the hood but when you just need to get going the approach I mentioned above is by far the most efficient.

I'm a bit excited to see if I can remember what dependencies to install to get Umbraco running when my new machine arrives next week - I'm not sure I'm able to remember what it takes to install Umbraco manually from a vanilla installation anymore :)

/Jan

May 19, 2012 @ 02:31
    Bruce Williams

Jan,

Jan

Thanks for the update.

I have found that umbraco installed via the Webmatrix seems to be missing a file.  I had three servers with each team getting the same result. We set up web server 2008 iis7 installed umbraco via webmatrix no website.  Tested installation checked out as ok then dropped in a standard website worked fine.  I guess that there are version problems with webmatrix covering all the parts. The trick is to see which version combo is in webmatrix. It does not help with webmatrix changing its front end too quickly. We had two different versions of webmatrix from their site over a few weeks (this may have settled down as this was two months ago).

I have also setup a hosted site for testing.

http://user616.webmatrix2.discountasp.net

I showed my students the reason for umbraco with the vunerabilities for various cms.  Umbraco 1-2 Magento 5-6 Wordpress 455.

Bruce

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft