Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Apr 09, 2012 @ 10:20
    Dan

Timeout - issue with shared hosting?

Hi,

I've recently loaded an Umbraco installation on a client's server.  They have a 'technical contact' who is acting as middle-man between myself and the actual hosting company (who I think are 'openhosting.co.uk').  I have no control panel access or any kind of facility to manage permissions etc, so I'm relying on the technical contact getting the hosting company to configure the environment correctly for the site to run.

The specification I asked for is that the host account is running asp.net 4, using IIS in full or high trust mode.  The host is saying that they have a "custom trust policy which is equal to full trust", and that the domain is running asp.net 4 (which I can verify as it says so on the error message).

I've uploaded the files and the database to this server, but whenever it runs, i.e. when I just load the website or any page on it, it just times out and I get the standard .NET timeout message:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Request timed out.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 
    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out.
    Source Error: 
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
    Stack Trace: 
    [HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out.]
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

Although I had the hosting company set permissions as per the permissions page on the wiki I thought this could be permissions related, so they've since "set full permissions on everything". Still it times out and I can't get any page to load.

Now the hosting company is saying it is a problem with the website files.  They pointed out that there's a 'default.aspx' page which references a code-behind page (default.aspx.cs) which doesn't exist, and they're saying this is part of the problem.  I don't know quite how Umbraco handles this, but I'm sure the code-behind doesn't have to be there (it isn't on any of my other umbraco installations).  This is a standard Umbraco 4.7.1.1 site - simple brochure stuff with no custom controls or anything.  The code for the site runs perfectly well on my local installation and also on my demo server, so I'm sure it's okay within itself and that the problem is a configuration problem with the host server.  I've tried running it on SQLCe and on SQL 2005 on the host server, but it makes no difference - both time-out.

Could anyone suggest anything else which might be causing the time-out?  Otherwise, is there a way I can check permissions have been set correctly, without having access to the file-system?  I've only ever had this kind of issue when permissions aren't right, but then the host insists everything is set to full permissions.  I rarely host anything on a shared server, so I don't know what else might be a common cause for this kind of thing.

Thanks for any help folks...

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Apr 09, 2012 @ 13:00
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Dan,

Since the error is a "Request timed out", suggesting that something (in server-code) is trying to make a HTTP request (and failing/timed out).

Either this means that the hosting company have locked down all external requests (in their firewall), or the requested resource is timing out itself.

Where is this error happening? Front-end or back-office, or both?

In the back-office, I know that there is a version-check back to the "mothership" ... which I "think" is configurable. Increase the value of "umbracoVersionCheckPeriod" in your Web.config AppSettings.

If it's a front-end issue... then check your code, see if there are any external calls... e.g. Twitter, RSS feeds, etc.

Cheers, Lee.

Apr 09, 2012 @ 13:29
    Dan

Thanks Lee,

It's happening on both website and back-office.  The website calls a couple of external scripts (jQuery CDN, fonts.com for a licensed font) but I've just commented these out from the masterpage file and still get the same problem.  There are no other external calls in the code at all.  Similarly, I've set umbracoVersionCheckPeriod to '0' in web.config, but the back-office still fails to load too.

Puzzling!

Apr 09, 2012 @ 13:33
    Lee Kelleher

The external CSS/JS references are client-side... so they'd render directly in the browser.  The exception is the server trying to make a HTTP request.

If it is the version-check call... I'm not sure why it would happen in the front-end too! Hmmm... if anything springs to mind, I'll let you know!

Frustrating, eh?!

Cheers, Lee.

Apr 09, 2012 @ 16:13
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Dan,

Looking through the Umbraco core code, here's the parts that try to make a HTTP request (all via the back-office):

* FeedProxy.aspx - used on the Umbraco.tv dashboard panels, to pull in an RSS feed. Any error here would be isolated, doubt this the cause.

* Package repository - for package listing/installs.  Again, an error here would be isolated to the page/section.

* MacroContentByHttp - this is used when you have a macro inserted into the rich-text editor ... so an error would appear only in TinyMCE.

* GoogleSpellChecker - again another one for the rich-text editor. Can't see how this would impact the front-end.

* Scheduled Tasks - if set up in umbracoSettings.config, these are scheduled at application start-up. From looking at the code, any error would be swallowed, and shouldn't appear on the front-end.

* GetXmlDocumentByUrl - You'd need to make this call manually within a Macro... this could display the error on the front-end.

Might be worth asking the hosting company to check the server error logs... see if they can pin point which URL is trying to be accessed?

Cheers, Lee.

Apr 09, 2012 @ 17:22
    Dan

Very helpful, thanks Lee.  I'll get them to do some invstigation in the log files and see what comes of it.  I'll be sure to update here if/when it's solved.

Cheers!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft