Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Graham Mulcock 26 posts 48 karma points
    Apr 17, 2012 @ 23:40
    Graham Mulcock

Problem w/4.0.3 after MySQL & server updates

I have had to upgrade MySQL from 5.1 to 5.5 on our server in order to support one of our applications, and at the same time, I applied regular Windows Server updates (it's Server 2008R2), most which seemed to be concerned with .NET 4.0 updates. I also upgraded the MySQL net connector to 6.4.4. Now the main 4.0.3 Umbraco base will not start properly - the Web server appears to fall over on restart. The error I'm seeing on attempting access to the root default.aspx is:

An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated. Application ID: /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT Process ID: 2796 Exception: System.NullReferenceException Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. StackTrace: at umbraco.BusinessLogic.User.setupUser(Int32 ID) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\businesslogic\User.cs:line 75 at umbraco.BusinessLogic.User..ctor(Int32 ID) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\businesslogic\User.cs:line 43 at umbraco.BusinessLogic.User.GetUser(Int32 id) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\businesslogic\User.cs:line 748 at umbraco.content.LoadContentFromDatabase(Boolean loadDocuments) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\presentation\content.cs:line 742 at umbraco.content.LoadContent() in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\presentation\content.cs:line 702 at umbraco.content.get_XmlContentInternal() in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\presentation\content.cs:line 130 at umbraco.content.<.cctor>b__0(Object ) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\7380c184e9fcd3ea\umbraco\presentation\content.cs:line 64 at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack) at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)

I have no idea what this means, nor how to begin resolving it. I've tried reverting .NET Framework to 2.0, but that did no good.

Has anyone else seen this error? Any advice or assistance very gratefully received...! Right now, we have no Web site or applications...

Thanks in advance

• Bruce Williams 11 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 18, 2012 @ 00:57
    Bruce Williams

Graham,

I had problems with updates for Server 2008 R2 in 2010.  This was end of last year (I had 100 updates to apply) and after long discussions with Microsoft the problem occurred with security updates (roughly numbers 34, 48 etc).

I have since updated Server 2008 R2 from scratch - no problems.  My feeling is that they took out the problem updates. My solution was to use Server 2008 R2 and apply updates manually - too slow.  I would advise try it again (fresh installation of Server 2008 R2) without updates.  If it is the Server updates then you are functional but not patched.

Bruce

• Graham Mulcock 26 posts 48 karma points
    Apr 18, 2012 @ 09:26
    Graham Mulcock

Thanks very much, Bruce. Re-installing Server 2008 R2 was not really an option this time, since this is a production server. However, following your comments, I uninstalled the most recent security updates and the Web server came back to life. I think there is still an issue with 4.0.3 using the latest MySQL NET connector (6.4.4), as I had to wind that back to an earlier version to get everything in Umbraco to work satisfactorily. Which meant that I had to wind back the reference in my other applications too, but they work just as well now.

Anyway, problem solved and thanks again for your help!

Cheers, Graham 

• Bruce Williams 11 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 24, 2012 @ 13:44
    Bruce Williams

Graham,

That's great.  I was on holidays for the past few days but I was wondering how you went.  I have problems getting my web servers to production using Webmatrix.  Any experience with this path?

Bruce

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft