Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eric Brown 5 posts 25 karma points
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 22:47
    Eric Brown

moving site to new server

I am trying to move our Umbraco site to a new server, but there are a few things that make this particularly challenging. Before I spend too much more time trying to make this happen, I wanted to check here and see if what I'm trying to do is even feasible. I have reviewed the forums for similar questions, and from what I've read, I'm not optimistic.

The first problem is that I know almost nothing about SQL.

Second, both the current and new server are hosted on shared servers with medium trust only.

Third, there is a SQL Server version disparity: the site currently runs on SQL Server 2008R2. The new server only has SQL Server 2008 (no R2). We also have the option of using MySQL.

Knowing all this, does anyone have advice on how to migrate this server? From what I understand, I can't user Courier2 (no full trust). I have loaded the new database as a Linked Server in SQL Management Studio, but, again, I am an absolute novice and don't know how to write the queries that would sync the two databases. I even tried using a utility called DBSync, but it failed with errors that I do not understand.

So, short of hiring a database expert to do the conversion for me, is there any hope that I could make this move myself?

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Apr 22, 2012 @ 13:47
    Mark Bennett

Eric,

Simplest way I have found to copy an SQL Server database is to do the following:

1. Stop SQL server instance on db you want to migrate from
    2. Copy the .mdf and .ldf files for your database
    3. Start SQL server instance again just so you have the system up and running
    4. Take your copied .mdf and .ldf files and pop them on your new database server
    5. Use management studio to Attach the database - right click on database node and select attach - navigate to copied .mdf file and select
    6. Database should now be on your new server - point umbraco website to the new database
    It does mean shutting down the main db for a bit but it's a very simple way of doing things imo.
    Hope it helps,
    Mark.
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft