Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lloyd Apter 64 posts 84 karma points
    Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:50
    Lloyd Apter

Step-by-step guide for dummies to install Umbraco 4.7 and upload site design from Webmatrix

Hi,

I really need a very simple, dummy proof, step-by-step instruction list to setup Umbraco 4.7 at reliablesites and then upoad by website prepared in Umbraco to my domain using Webmatrix.

Many thanks,

Lloyd

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Apr 22, 2012 @ 13:39
    Mark Bennett

Lloyd,

I'm presuming you have some hosting with reliablesites?

Mark.

Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:52
    Lloyd Apter

Hi Mark,

10-4, I'm setup on reliablesite.net

the domain is solarenergyparrtner.com

I have Webmatrix on Windows 7 and it's configurated for site deployment

I actually managed to get the site template live before but the data base wasn't configured so I couldn't update the content.

For some reason I decided to delete and restart the process and now i'm back to square one.

Thanks, Lloyd

P.S. BTW I couldn't post this update from my iPhone, tried a few times

Apr 23, 2012 @ 14:00
    Mark Bennett

Hi Lloyd,

I haven't actually used Webmatrix or set it up so I can't comment on the magical jiggery pokery it does behind the scenes but it is obviously failing miserably at some part of the setup.

I'm presuming that you have some kind of shared hosting with reliablesite and they limit how you get access to your part of the server ? Or do you have a dedicated with them?

It sounds as if you don't have enough priviliges to setup the database for Umbraco - if it was me i'd be in touch with reliablesite to see if they could run the umbraco install on your behalf? Once the DB is properly setup you should be able to use Webmatrix to perform any updates to the templates and scripts etc.

Mark.

Apr 24, 2012 @ 21:18
    Lloyd Apter

Hi Mark,

I can try that again but it isn't exactly what I was asking.

Isn't there a 1-2-3 setup guide?

Thanks,

Lloyd

Apr 24, 2012 @ 23:14
    Mark Bennett

Lloyd,

You mean like this . 

Mark.

Apr 25, 2012 @ 16:32
    Lloyd Apter

Neat!

Thanks Mark, i'll try that and let you know.

Lloyd

Apr 30, 2012 @ 14:44
    Lloyd Apter

Hi Mark,

I have everything setup on my computer, that's not a problem, i,e, webmatrix, umbraco 4.7 and my website template all integrated and running perfectly. 

The problem is uploading Umbraco+my site template to reliablesite.net

Thanks,

Lloyd

May 01, 2012 @ 20:18
    Mark Bennett

LLoyd,

As I said you really need to speak to reliable site to see how you go about this. I have no idea what they offer as a service provider and I have no idea what access you have onto your hosting.

You should be able to ftp your templates etc onto their system but I would imagine that uploading the DB and setting up the DB is where you have issues?

Mark. 

May 01, 2012 @ 21:20
    Lloyd Apter

Exactly Mark, setting up the database.

I have a shared hosting account with them with FTP access, a ms SQL 2008,  panel access.  They want me to setup the site under: solarenergypartner.com/wwwroot

Best regards,

Lloyd

P.S. After login on my iPhone 4 I still can't post

May 03, 2012 @ 13:14
    Mark Bennett

Lloyd so can you do a manual install of all the gubbins you require onto the server?

So setup an empty database and user ready for install...

Copy the umbraco binaries via ftp into your webroot. Change the web.config before upload to have the details for your newly created DB in the connection string.

Navigate to the root/install/ directory in your web browser - you should get the umbraco install wizard - go through and install.

Once all setup use webmatrix to connect to the above installation and update and change using that going forward....

Mark.

May 03, 2012 @ 13:23
    Lloyd Apter

Thanks Mark, yes I have the empty database and I can manually install

So do I upload what is in the build folder to wwwroot? Where do I find the web.config in the umbrac binaries.

Lloyd

May 03, 2012 @ 13:30
    Mark Bennett

Lloyd,

Download the binaries and unzip to local drive. in the build directory you will have a web.config file - change the following line to have your DB credentials :

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=.\SQLEXPRESS;database=DATABASE;user id=USER;password=PASS" />

Yes upload all of the files in the build folder via ftp to your web root. Navigate in your web browser to 'web root'/install/ and follow the steps.

Mark..

May 03, 2012 @ 13:36
    Lloyd Apter

Mark, I have a database that I can access via the control panel called umbraco_solarenergypartner

and it already has files inside, should i delete it and then recreate it?

Thanks, Lloyd

May 03, 2012 @ 13:42
    Mark Bennett

Lloyd,

No. Just change the web.config in the binaries to point to your server using the same details you are using to get onto the DB via the control panel.

I'm presuming the DB already has umbraco installed then if you have records? So in theory you should just be able to change the following in the web.config to stop umbraco trying to do another install.

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="4.7.1.1" />

Obviously use the version number of the installed version you have.

You should then just be able to navigate to your site?

Mark.

May 03, 2012 @ 14:05
    Lloyd Apter

Hi Mark,

I have this in my web.config file which is in the startersite umbraco folder which has my template integrated already:

add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="datalayer=SQLCE4Umbraco.SqlCEHelper,SQLCE4Umbraco;data source=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.sdf" />
        <add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="4.7.1.1" />

Should I replace this with the database details you provided me? Or should I do the basic upload then use the webmatrix to upload the site?

Thanks, Lloyd

May 03, 2012 @ 14:42
    Mark Bennett

Lloyd,

I'm a tad confused now. 

Is the above info from web.config on your hosting? So that umbracoDbDSN key is the same database information that you use to log onto sql via the control panel (it doesn't look like it as that is a SQL compact DB and you said your hosting is SQL 2008)?

Don't worry about web matrix for the moment - it is just a tool to do ftp and other bits without actually using ftp from what I can tell.

Mark.

May 03, 2012 @ 14:52
    Lloyd Apter

Mark, the guy that put my site template onto Umbraco sent me a build for the site (called StartSite) and inside that build I have these details in the web.config.  On reliable I have the SQL Server 2008 setup as umbraco_solarenergypartner which is setup with the details I gave you.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, Lloyd

May 03, 2012 @ 15:20
    Mark Bennett

Lloyd,

If I understand correctly -

So you have a local installation of umbraco called startsite which is connected to an SQL compact database - this is the web.config details you have provided above. (I'm only really interested in umbraco that you have hosted for the time being).

On the hosted version you have a database called umbraco_solarenergypartner - you access this via some sql control panel and you provide a username and password to access it? Is this a blank database or is umbraco installed in it (can you see cmd* and umbraco* tables) ?

On the hosted you also have access via ftp to a webroot directory - what does this currently have in it?

Mark.

May 03, 2012 @ 16:43
    Lloyd Apter

Hi Mark, exactly. 

The wwwroot is empty (I deleted it in order to try a fresh installation) and the database has some detables in from a previous Umbraco 4.7 installation

Thanks, Lloyd

May 03, 2012 @ 19:16
    Mark Bennett

OK Lloyd,

So create a new database in sql server - or delete and recreate the one above from scratch. Create a user that has full read/write access to the DB. You will need the server name (the db will probably be on the same machine so .\ as below?), the db name and the username / password combo. 

Then extract the binaries you downloaded earlier - edit the web.config file in the build directory with your DB details from above into the 'CAPS BELOW'

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=.\SQLEXPRESS;database=DATABASE;user id=USER;password=PASS" />

Then ftp up to your server web root all the files and directories from the downloaded binaries build directory.

So your web root will have App_Browsers, App_Code, App_Data etc...

Navigate to the /install/ directory in a browser on your server to run the umbraco install --> Does the install run?

Mark.

May 03, 2012 @ 20:45
    Lloyd Apter

Hi Mark,

So, the server=.\SQLEXPRESS - would I replace the SQLEXPRESS with SQLSERVER2008 ?

Thanks,

Lloyd

May 03, 2012 @ 20:51
    Lloyd Apter

Hi Mark,

So, the server=.\SQLEXPRESS - would I replace the SQLEXPRESS with SQLSERVER2008 ?

I did the file upload and got to this when I went to http://solarenergypartner.com/install/default.aspx:

XML Parsing Error: no element found
    Line Number 1, Column 1:

Thanks,

Lloyd

May 03, 2012 @ 21:05
    Lloyd Apter

Hi Mark,

Not sure what I should be using here:

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=.\SQLEXPRESS;database=umbraco_solarenergypartner;user id=xxxxx_solarenergypartner;password=

This is the info they provide for SQL 2008 in the control panel:

Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data source=xxx.xx.xx.xx,xxxx;Initial catalog=databaseName;User Id=userName;Password=password;

Thanks,

Lloyd

May 03, 2012 @ 21:23
    Mark Bennett

LLoyd,

So the umbracoDSN in web.config for you should look like this then:

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value=" Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data source=xxx.xx.xx.xx,xxxx;Initial catalog=databaseName;User Id=userName;Password=password; " />

I've just checked your webbie above and you have an internal server error ;(

I'm away tonight for the weekend so I hope you manage to get it all sorted.

Mark.

May 03, 2012 @ 21:36
    Lloyd Apter

Thanks, done Mark.

Who needs to fix the internal server error? reliable? How does that happen?

Have a great weekend and many thanks

Lloyd

May 03, 2012 @ 21:41
    Mark Bennett

Lloyd,

Yeh i'd be in touch with reliable now - lots of reasons why the server may error - maybe permissions and reliable should be able to help.

I'll check back on Monday so post updates with how you get on - also might help others new to Umbraco ;)

Mark.

May 03, 2012 @ 21:46
    Lloyd Apter

:) will do

Thanks for all he help Mark.

Lloyd

May 07, 2012 @ 12:12
    Lloyd Apter

Hi Mark,

Hope you had a great weekend.

I completed the steps you recommended and I'm now getting this error:

XML Parsing Error: no element found
    Line Number 1, Column 1:

This is what reliabe had to say:

" We don't provide support for script/application errors, you will need to contact the vendor of script/application. 

Thank you,
    ReliableSite.Net Support
    "

What do you suggest please?

Thanks, Lloyd

May 08, 2012 @ 11:24
    Mark Bennett

Hi Lloyd,

Sorry to here you still haven't sorted it. I can see that you have an internal server error at the moment so i'm presuming you have moved past the above xml parsing error?

Mark.

May 08, 2012 @ 12:00
    Lloyd Apter

Hi Mark,

I checked with Reliable and there is an option to install from the web panel.  I'll update you as soon as I finish trying this route.

Many thanks,

Lloyd

May 09, 2012 @ 13:36
    Lloyd Apter

Ok Mark, I got Umbraco installed.

In the setup I need to set the permissions of certain folders and files to 777 and for some reason certain of the files don't update the permissions.  This is the last error report i received on Step 3/5:

- Checking default folder permissions:
    ~/css : Success!
    ~/config : Success!
    ~/App_Data : Success!
    ~/media : Success!
    ~/masterpages : Success!
    ~/macroScripts : Failure!
    ~/xslt : Success!
    ~/usercontrols : Failure!
    ~/App_Data\preview : Success!

- Checking optional folder permissions for packages:
    ./~/bin : Failure!
    ./~/umbraco : Failure!
    ./~/usercontrols : Failure!
    ./~/App_Data\packages : Success!

- Cache (the umbraco.config file): Success!

- Creating folders: Success!

When I try set usercontrols or macroScripts to 777 I still get this error.

Also, I have no idea where to find these folders:

./~/bin : Failure!
    ./~/umbraco : Failure!
    ./~/usercontrols : Failure!

Thanks,

Lloyd

May 09, 2012 @ 16:56
    Lloyd Apter

Ok Mark, permissions are set.  Did it from the filer in the control panel at reliable.

Next step: The site template is built in SQL CE 4 embedded database, so will it be a problem for me to do the setup online with the SQL 2008 and then transfer the site once the setup online is completed?  Or must I stick to the SQL CE 4 embedded database setup so that it won't conflict with the website setup on my local server?

Many thanks, Lloyd

May 10, 2012 @ 10:48
    Mark Bennett

Lloyd,

Glad to see you are still going - great to here that you have the permissions sorted and I even got to a umbraco login when I went to solarenergy/umbraco ;)

Regarding the template copying then I believe it is more file based than DB based - content in the DB, templates, styles, javascript etc all held on the file system.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9470496/migrating-umbraco-4-7

I have no idea though how you move your data from SQL CE4 to SQL server but i'm guessing elsewhere on the interwebs you could find this info. Maybe some kind of export option from CE4 and then import into SQL server.

Mark..

May 10, 2012 @ 13:58
    Lloyd Apter

Hi Mark,

I'm going to stick with built in database so as not to complicate anything.

Now I need to upload my site... how best to do that.  I did a successful publish from Webmatrix but that didn't work...

Thanks, Lloyd

May 10, 2012 @ 15:16
    Mark Bennett

Lloyd how did you get the original install files onto the server? I think you said you ftp'd them over, can you not do the same thing with the site you want to upload?

Mark.

May 10, 2012 @ 15:23
    Lloyd Apter

Hi Mark,

Managed to get them over via Webmatrix FTP.

Now I'm trying to get the site to work: http://solarenergypartner.com/

Thanks, Lloyd

May 10, 2012 @ 16:13
    Lloyd Apter

Walla Mark!

Site template is live:

http://solarenergypartner.com/

Many, many thanks!

Lloyd

May 10, 2012 @ 16:38
    Mark Bennett

Lloyd,

Good stuff glad to see you got there in the end....

Don't forget to mark the thread as answered and a High five always helps if i've been helpful ;)

Mark.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft