Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Roger 19 posts 57 karma points
    Apr 25, 2012 @ 22:46
    Roger

Problems Installing Umbraco CMS 5 : Cannot Connect to Server SQL Express 2008

Dear all,

Greetings to everyone! I am just trying to install Umbraco CMS for the first time, (apologies in advance if this is a noob question) but I've hit a bit of an issue.  The Web Platform Installer does not connect to the SQL Server.  If I choose 'create new database' and enter what I believe are the correct login details I get an error:

Cannot connect to the database ".

Login failed for user 'MySystem\MyUser'

I know the SQL details are fine because I can run the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (using the sam details), can create databases, run queries etc.  So to help the installer, I created the database I would like to use Umbraco with (just called it 'umbraco').  Interestingly, when I now give the installer the details for this database, I don't get any error and the installation continues, gets to the end, but then reports:

"We're sorry.  The following products have failed to install:

Umbraco CMS 5

This product did not install successfully: The database 'umbraco' could not be created.  Login failed for user MySystem\MyUser"

Which doesn't actually make a lot of sense, since I have already created the database and can confirm the current Windows user has permissions to perform all actions on (actually owner of database).

Further notes: 

Running SQL Express locally (and using .\sqlexpress), using Windows authentication mode, in case it helps, I have included the Umbraco error log below:

EXCEPTION: Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentClientServerException: The database 'umbraco' could not be created. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'MySystem\MyUser'.

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)

at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()

at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.SqlServerDatabaseProvider.AddHelper(DeploymentObject source)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.Add(DeploymentObject source, DeploymentSyncContext syncContext)

at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentSyncContext.HandleAdd(DeploymentObject destObject, DeploymentObject sourceObject)

at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentSyncContext.HandleUpdate(DeploymentObject destObject, DeploymentObject sourceObject)

at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentSyncContext.SyncChildrenOrder(DeploymentObject dest, DeploymentObject source)

at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentSyncContext.SyncChildren(DeploymentObject dest, DeploymentObject source)

at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentSyncContext.ProcessSync(DeploymentObject destinationObject, DeploymentObject sourceObject)

at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.SyncToInternal(DeploymentObject destObject, DeploymentSyncOptions syncOptions, PayloadTable payloadTable, ContentRootTable contentRootTable)

at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.SyncTo(DeploymentProviderOptions providerOptions, DeploymentBaseOptions baseOptions, DeploymentSyncOptions syncOptions)

at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.SyncTo(String provider, String path, DeploymentBaseOptions baseOptions, DeploymentSyncOptions syncOptions)

at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.SyncTo(DeploymentWellKnownProvider provider, String path, DeploymentBaseOptions baseOptions, DeploymentSyncOptions syncOptions)

at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.SyncTo(DeploymentBaseOptions baseOptions, DeploymentSyncOptions syncOptions)

at Microsoft.Web.PlatformInstaller.MSDeployProxy.Install(InstallerContext context, RemoteCredentials remoteCredentials)

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Apr 30, 2012 @ 13:42
    Mark Bennett

Roger,

I've had this issue - change the web.config file so that it has the details for your DB and then re-run the install you should then already have all the details in the form when you get to the DB install bit of the install.

Like you I just couldn't seem to manually enter the values for my DB into the form even when I new they were correct.

Cheers,
    Mark. 

• Roger 19 posts 57 karma points
    May 28, 2012 @ 15:52
    Roger

Hi Mark, 

apologies for the delay replying! You were quite right of course :) silly me had SQL connection strings set wrong.  Thanks for your help!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft