Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    May 15, 2012 @ 10:23
    Jesper Ordrup

Webmatrix - how to install 4.7.2?

Hi guys,

When I open Webmatrix theres two Umbraco install options in the gallery. 

• Umbraco CMS
    • Umbraco CMS 5

I guess the first is 4.7.x - something but its not possible to tell. But it requires install of SQL server 2012 which makes me think its not the right version.

Whats up? 

Side question - is it possible to configure WebMatrix 1.0 with custom feeds?

Best
    Jesper

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    May 15, 2012 @ 10:45
    Douglas Robar

Yes, 'Umbraco CMS' is v4.7.x.

No, WebMatrix 1.0 (or the much improved 2.0beta, recommended) does not support custom feeds (use webpi for that)

I agree, would be nice in v4 version of the app_gallery to have sql ce support. 

FWIW, I always download the full 'web_deploy' build (which has the sql ce files already in it) from umbraco.codeplex.com, unblock and then unzip it. Then right click on the parent folder in Windows Explorer and choose the 'Open Folder as a website in Webmatrix' menu. Presto, your site is running in less than 2 minutes.

cheers,
    doug. 

May 15, 2012 @ 10:50
    Jesper Ordrup

hi Doug,

Thanks. I'm open for workarounds and downloading manually is surely an option. I think that the whole purpose with Webmatrix is to make it all about making it easy to download and try/use the best cms in the world so easy that you cant help installing :-) and therefore - it should be possible directly?

And the demand for SQL 2012 I dont understand.

See u soon :-)

/best

Jesper

May 15, 2012 @ 10:53
    Douglas Robar

I look forward to talking with you and others in a few weeks about the progress made so far (and what remains to completely fulfill) your idea from a few years ago of a 'one click install and run'. That's the kind of thing that helps everyone.

cheers,
    doug. 

May 15, 2012 @ 20:34
    Douglas Robar

By the way, I just looked at the webmatrix / web platform installer options and they do ask you to install the SQL Server 2012 components (a couple MB of data) as well as components for 2008... if you don't already have them installed. So it isn't installing all of 2012 or anything like it, which is how I understood your initial post. Hope that helps clarify a bit.

Why? I can only guess it's so that 2012 is also supported.

cheers,
    doug. 

May 16, 2012 @ 08:17
    Jesper Ordrup

Hi Doug,

You're absolutly right.

Im still wondering why it's a prerequisit when it's really not - as Umbraco 4.72 can be installed without. Maybe it's just a misconfiguration. Besides the Management Objects for 2012 also requires installation of 2012 CLR types which needed to be installed first. 

2 steps that might stop the curious. 

Best

Jsper

May 16, 2012 @ 09:25
    Jesper Ordrup

A lille followup maybe more related to WebMatrix 1 than Umbraco. It seems that it's not possible to configure publishing a database file to a sql server anymore. At least not in my setup. Maybe related to below. 

• When creating sql connections or migrating database files - the connect strings appear in the web.config and you have to move it to Umbraco's custom db connect string in App settings. 
    • Only database files appear in Webmatrix Database view (left pane) - never the sql connections which should appear under "other connections".
    Only reason I post this in Umbraco forum is that I suspect that it all comes down to some webmatrix umbraco specific config file. And this might need some attention?
    I've searched for some documentation that describes the publishing features - but havent found any yet.
    /jesper
    May 16, 2012 @ 10:49
    Douglas Robar

I agree with your points about stopping the curious. I think Paul is the guy to speak to about how the packages are created for webpi and webmatrix.

With regard to migrating databases with webmatrix... should be possible: http://www.microsoft.com/web/post/migrate-a-database-to-sql-server

I think you're right that you'd need to manually update the connection string for umbraco afterward, but I've not tried it so perhaps it just works auto-magically.

cheers,
    doug. 

May 16, 2012 @ 13:01
    Jesper Ordrup

Hi Doug,

Thanks again. I'll ask paul about the packages. Good idea.

If I want to upgrade a db file to a sql server then the migration is the right tool. I was searching for something else. If I remember correctly you should be able to maintain a senario that has a local db file but publishes (via webdeploy) to a remote sql db. Or push a local sql db to a remote sql db. It's was a full replace but I think it worked. I even think it worked with Umbraco's custom connect string.

best
    Jesper

May 16, 2012 @ 13:26
    Jesper Ordrup

Further followup.

Installed Webmatrix 2 and suddenly some of the above problems was solved. Now I can specify how webdeploy should handle databases. But .. since the tables has some forign key relations the tables cannot be dropped. So still not working:

"Could not drop object 'dbo.umbracoUserType' because it is referenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint."

Best,

Jesper

May 16, 2012 @ 14:18
    Jesper Ordrup

Small victory. Dropping remote database and starting over helped. Now it works. So to sum up:

• WebMatrix 2 beta
    • Umbraco 4.72 installed via webmatrix with all prerequisits in place (db 2012 related management objects and clr)
    • Website local running on sql express, remote on sql server

Webmatrix webdeploy works from local to remote and even updates umbracoDbDSN correctly (this must be some config thing I havent found yet).

Webmatrix sync (from remote to local) still fails handling the db. It seems to forget which remote db to fetch and subsequently what to do with it.

Best
    Jesper 

May 16, 2012 @ 14:26
    Douglas Robar

Good stuff, Jesper, and thanks for the update! 

WebMatrix 2 (even the beta) really is a nice nice tool. It is so simple and quick to use but also surprisingly capable. I now use it almost exclusively for running and editing sites except for two situations: 

1. if I need hostnames on the site (that requires full IIS)
    2. if I need to compile some code (but then I just click the Visual Studio button)
    cheers,
    doug. 
    May 16, 2012 @ 17:07
    Jesper Ordrup

It seems that my problem reagarding synching / pulling website from remote to local is related to this error:

Error detail:

Error detail:
    16:54:02: Object of type 'manifest' and path '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?><MSDeploy.Continous><iisApp path="sitname.dk" /><dbFullSql path="server=mssql2.unoeuro.com;database=db_dk_db;user id=user_dk;password=passw" SchemaQualify="false" CopyAllUsers="true" CopyAllLogins="true" scriptDropsFirst="True" /></MSDeploy.Continous>' cannot be created.

Also mentioned here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3307501/package-publish-web-include-iis-settings-from-iis-manager-breaks-deployment-pa

I just dont know what to do about it :-)

best

Jesper

May 16, 2012 @ 17:45
    Jesper Ordrup

Found out that the problem could be related to SQL server 2012 and have asked hosting provider to be downgraded.

You havent heard the last from me. I'll just keep updating until I have a working setup :-)

/Jesper

May 22, 2012 @ 12:48
    Jesper Ordrup

We switched from SQL Server 2012 to SQL Server 2008 and now we can sync both ways. That goes for database and files. Setup is UNOEURO, SQL server 2008 both local and server, Webmatrix 2 (beta) and a Umbraco 472

One small thing. When I installed first time I used the umbraco.sdf file. But I migrated it to a local sqlexpress. Webmatrix seems to update the umbracoDbDSN value in web.config correctly when publishing. But when synching it replaces it with reference to the original databasefile.

Is it a limitation that I can get around- Is this value stored somewhere?

best
    Jesper 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft