Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Patrick McAndrew 48 posts 163 karma points
    May 17, 2012 @ 13:05
    Patrick McAndrew

Load balancing without file replication

We're looking into load balancing our Umbraco install and have it working in a test configuration.  Mainly I'm trying to make sure I'm not about to do something that's a bad idea....

All of our master templates/xslt/razor/usercontrols/css/js files are under source control and when we deploy, we overwrite the existing files in prod.  So really all we're using Umbraco for is content nodes, doc types, dictionary items and a few xslt/razor macros. 

So, could we get away with not replicating the file system for load balancing?  Any new load balanced servers would just get a copy of the existing file system, and when we deployed any updates, the new files would go to all the servers.

The media section is the only area that I know would have issue with this in our setup, but we could either eliminate using that, or just sync that folder via source control/dfs/robocopy.

Does that make sense?  Any issues that I haven't thought of that would cause issues in the future?

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    May 17, 2012 @ 13:53
    Tom Fulton

Hi,

That sounds like it might work, as long as you take care of /media/ and any other files added (maybe by 3rd party packages?).  We use load balancing but replicate all files except umbraco.config and App_Data/TEMP, but as long as you are manually deploying the files to each server I don't see why that wouldn't work.

-Tom

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft